15 hp Briggs and Stratton engine, HELP!!!

Cadman-iac

Tractorologist
I am trying to rebuild my old cast iron Briggs motor, model #325431-0139-01 and I don't know how to get the camshaft out of the block. Is there a stubshaft that needs to be driven out of the end with the gear on it that meshes with the crank gear?
I don't want to mess it up, and none of the sites I have looked at that sell parts has any information on it, or they're unwilling to share.
Anyone here who knows what I need to do?
And does anybody know where I can get a good repair book on these engines? Again, what I was able to find online was of no help.
This engine has a counterweight on it for balance, and I need to know how to synchronize it as well.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Never mind about the camshaft, I just figured out how to get it out. There is a stubshaft in it. A bolt and washer pressing against the side of the case and it's out.

I still need the other information though, if anyone can help out.

Many thanks, Rick

Drop this into a google search (325431-0139-01 ) lots of info popped up.
I tried that, and I saw a lot of links come up for parts, but none of the ones for books or rebuild info covers this particular engine.
What I really need are the torque specs, and exactly how you time the counterweight. Everything else I think I can figure out. I think! I guess we'll see how much I think I know when I get to the assembly process.
Thanks for the reply though. I do appreciate it.

Rick

I do have another question. I noticed that in the parts listings that the last number is almost always ending in 99. Mine ends with 01, so do they not cover mine, or does anything less than 99 fall into that category? Like everything up to 99 is covered/superceded, or does it not work that way?

Rick

I do have another question. I noticed that in the parts listings that the last number is almost always ending in 99. Mine ends with 01, so do they not cover mine, or does anything less than 99 fall into that category? Like everything up to 99 is covered/superceded, or does it not work that way?

Rick
I believe that's the way Briggs parts lookups work.
It's a PITA, IMHO.
I have three Briggs engines and every one of them pulls this crap. One of them I can't even look up the right series, so it's a huge guessing game. Took me two hours to figure out the right head gasket.

It love a quiet word with the dingleberry who decided that.

I believe that's the way Briggs parts lookups work.
It's a PITA, IMHO.
I have three Briggs engines and every one of them pulls this crap. One of them I can't even look up the right series, so it's a huge guessing game. Took me two hours to figure out the right head gasket.

It love a quiet word with the dingleberry who decided that.
So what do you do if the parts catalog doesn't jive with what you're actually looking at in front of you, guess? That sounds like a real pain, like you said.
Do you happen to know if there's any service manual that covers these engines that would have the specific specifications like the torque specs, and how to time the counterweight?
The books I saw offered online all were for smaller engines, or much older ones.
Gee, wouldn't it be nice if those offering the books would include a list of the model numbers the book actually covers? Wow! What a concept!!

Rick

Also, who do you get your parts through, who would you recommend? There's so many different places selling parts, how do you know who's reputable?
Thanks for any help you can offer. Rick

Well, it says, just like all the other ones do, that it covers models through the 320000 series, however, when you look at the index, it only goes up to the 230000 series engines. And apparently those don't have the counterweight in them.
Here's a couple pictures of what's in the index.
Maybe I don't understand something here, IDK!

Rick

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200817-121203_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20200817-121203_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20200817-121252_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20200817-121252_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 5
The few times I've had to wing it, I've just guessed.
You can contact @Bolens 1000 here or Bolens parts and supplies website (on Facebook he is Brian Bolens.)

Have you looked in the 270962 L-head manual? Section 12 covers the counterweights.

Attachments

• 34645-270962 Single Cylinder L-Head BRIGGS & STRATTON.pdf
    10.4 MB · Views: 17
Kenny,
Thank you very much! That's perfect, exactly what I have been looking for. Where did you find that? Is it on this site? I looked here and all I found was the book for engines from 1909 to 1981 or something close to that. (Can't remember the exact years of coverage. It's the one I showed a couple pages from. )
You're a lifesaver. This one shows everything I need.

MH81,
Thank you too for the tip about Brian Bolens, I may have to contact him if I have any issues with this thing. I still need to locate a gasket and seal kit. I'll try his site for that too. I hope it's accessible off of farcebook, I don't use them.

This is great! Thank you gentlemen for the information. I think I could have figured it out eventually, but this takes the guess work out of it.
Have a great day today and stay safe.

Rick

Well I was unable to find the gasket set for this engine at Bolens, but it was available through Jack's Small Engine Parts. So it's ordered, and if I'm lucky, it might get here next week sometime. Seems that they are backed up with orders, but it gives me time to get it all cleaned up and painted.
Yesterday I was in Lowe's, and I checked out the new John Deeres and the Husqvarna tractor/mowers. What junk!! And they want $2000.00 for one too!
For less than $300.00, and maybe even less than $200.00, I have this one back in the yard killin' weeds and cuttin' grass! That's if you don't count my labor. If you do, I could have had 3 new JD's, lol!
I'll try to get some pictures of it as I reassemble the engine.

Rick

That's a manual I have kept a copy of for some time as it covers a bunch of stuff. Glad it helped!

That's a manual I have kept a copy of for some time as it covers a bunch of stuff. Glad it helped!
Well I'm glad you did. I had an idea about how to time it, but I was off on one step. That's a great book.

Let me ask you this, this engine has hardly any wear in the cylinder at all, but it has/had a few scratches on either side of the piston, the thrust sides, so I took a dingleberry bush to it to give it a renewed surface. I'm thinking the rings will re-seat just fine, but what do you think?

I was gonna get a new set of rings, but they're not available except with a new piston, and they want too much for that.

If the cylinder is still round, a light hone can work with used rings. May take a bit for them to reseat!

That's what I thought, but wasn't positive. Thanks for the verification.

I was just cleaning up the parts for it and bagging them til I get the gasket set, and I noticed that the piston looks like it was either just replaced or hasn't been ran very long since it was new. No build up of any kind on it . The ring grooves are clean as a whistle, and there's no carbon or scorched oil on the bottom side of the piston either. I think i got really lucky with this one.
Can't explain it, but glad to take it.

Rick

Back