1966 Cub Cadet

larrybl

Tractorologist
Guess I'll put this here as this will take a while. Shop smells like PB Blast and Bad Gas right now. First I cleaned it up, than ran into my first issue.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 15
Here is an update on the 1966 Cub. Fuel tank Part 1. Also cleaning up the 1978 Roper 20T chains for this year show.

Attachments

• chain 1.jpg
    chain 1.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 8
  • chain 2.jpg
    chain 2.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 8
  • chain 3.jpg
    chain 3.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 8
  • deck 1.jpg
    deck 1.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Deck 2.jpg
    Deck 2.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 8
How heavy is your tractor grill? I am glad this didn't fall on me when I un-bolted it from the bottom. Had to get medieval on removing one of the front tires. I think I will need a shop crane to assist with this one.
Engine is free, and has compression, I want to disconnect the direct drive transmission, and go through the carb and points before I test fire it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 10
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 9
An update, and part-2 of the gas tank cleaning. Pictures are before I used Acetone.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 6
It looks like you may be able to salvage that gas tank, Larry! Do you have one of those flexible cameras? You may be able to get a peek at the baffled side through the hole.

The grill in my MF8E is a big chunk of cast iron, but never weighed it!

DAC

Attachments

• DSCN3062.JPG
    DSCN3062.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 5
Nice! Seeing what the Acetone did I think if I fill the baffle area and let it soak then swish it around the rest of the tank, the Red-Kote should seal the tank good. Still in the process of removing Tins. Found some rot I'll need to take care of also.

Nice! Seeing what the Acetone did I think if I fill the baffle area and let it soak then swish it around the rest of the tank, the Red-Kote should seal the tank good. Still in the process of removing Tins. Found some rot I'll need to take care of also.
I got new fuel fitting for those tank if you want one you can have one

Ok, just got my first sticker shock with the Cadet. I want to keep the seat original, so I have searched all the Cub sites, and eBay and no original seats are available. I also contacted a local upholster and received a quote of $300 - $400 to repair this seat. A new Black Hi-back runs $75 - $105 But I would NOT be happy with it. Searched for another upholster, and now have a Quote of $150.

Attachments

• Seat 1.jpg
    Seat 1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Seat 2.jpg
    Seat 2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Seat 3.jpg
    Seat 3.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 3
I paid way too much cash for 2 NOS seats.....I never tried to buy one like yours has.

But a complete restoration wasn't complete without it. The seat cost more than the tractor and all the parts to do the restoration...

IMG_20161014_150838078.jpg

Still working on the gas tank. Several rinses with Acetone and water, I let the Acetone set for several hours while rotating the tank. Then another 24 hours in Evaporust. Final steps will to be to rinse in Acetone one more time, then coat the tank.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 5
Still working on the gas tank. Several rinses with Acetone and water, I let the Acetone set for several hours while rotating the tank. Then another 24 hours in Evaporust. Final steps will to be to rinse in Acetone one more time, then coat the tank.
Looks real good, Larry! No rust pinholes fortunately!

DAC

I am not happy with the Red Kote results. There is no way to drain all the excess from the tank, and it has left gooey puddles in the tank. All I can do is hope the puddles harden up.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 4
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 4
I made a trip to Harbor Freight with full intentions on buying a shop crane, they were out of stock. I picked up a furniture mover with the intent to make a stand to hold the Cadet's engine. On the way home (long drive) I started brain storming. I picked up some lumber yesterday and there were three 2X4X12 in the pile. Stopped at Ace Hardware and picked 10' of light chain and three swivel casters. I now have a shop crane for approximate $37.00 and it looks like I can get the engine all the way up on the bench if I need to,

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 13
Back