1966 Cub Cadet

Needed to free up some room in the shop, so I decided to break the Cub's tires down and store them till I am ready for them. I popped the bearings out of the front rims so I can source them. I wish all the tires I have done were this easy!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 6
Trying to finish up the gas tank. It had a small dent that I repaired with JB weld, when sanding I found yellow paint. Checked the color brosure and sure enough it is supposed to be yellow. Not sure why this was painted grey. The Red Kote is still sticky in places. Thinking of useing an Acetone soak to try and remove the excess.

Attachments

• 0 Tank dent.jpg
    0 Tank dent.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 5
Made a mess, but for good reasons.
1. Oil needed drained any how.
2. Needed to know What type and how much, looks / spells like 90W, and around 4-5 qts.
3. Need to see if I can remove the axles (hopefully there are clips in the Diff)
4. Need to stand the frame on end (supported) to work under the chassis easier.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 5
Productive day sort of. I finally got all the Red goo out of the gas tank, I sprayed WD40 in it to keep the rust at bay, it will stay like this. Got the frame stood up and supported (crap it is heavy!). I PB blasted all the bolts underneath, and took many detailed pictures. Done for the night.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 7
Done for the night. Trying to remove this pin (has to be removed to get the frame off).
I jammed a small punch and broke the tip off it while heating with a braze torch..
I then hit my thumb with a hammer....... Air hammer.......With a pointed chisel bit. o_O

2.jpg

Dang! I guess that hurt, Larry! At least you had a clean rag and a real band-aid. Last time I did something like that in my shop at least I had paper towels that were clean. Couldn't find a band-aid so a piece of paper towel and electrical tape had to work---LOL!

Heal up quick!

DAC

Well, it took all day and a $23 set of punches and a destroyed clutch disk (shame it was in such good shape) but the transaxle if off the frame now. Felt bad about the clutch so a new disk and through-out bearing has been ordered.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 11
Tear down is mainly complete and parts are ready for pressure washing. I am leaving the Clutch / Brake pedal attached as there are no bushings to replace. First though I am waiting for the dew to burn off so I can mow the yard.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 5
The Cub's looking good. I have a 1965 Cub 100 that runs but needs some tlc. I plan to restore it. I got an almost perfect deck with it.

Back