1973 Plymouth Custom Suburban Station Wagon

1967Craftsman's

Tractorologist
This is my stepdads 1973 Plymouth Custom Suburban station wagon with a small block 360, brougham (or comfier) packaged interior, air conditioning, cruise control, and a tilt steering wheel. The color is called Sahara Beige. He’s owned this car since 1996, and it was a salvage yard rescue. That is original “correct” mileage on the odometer, it has not been turned over yet. He bought another car a couple weeks ago and unfortunately does not have room for this one anymore, so its sadly time to pass it onto another caretaker. I figured I would post some pictures of it before it goes. Let me know if anyone is interested in it.

C5446925-0CBC-4A81-800A-DD08F2F770DE.jpeg

B35F727B-3CBD-44E6-9ECC-AAB2CA1C3860.jpeg

6E3289DA-C200-4D0B-8F19-620F931A7BE9.jpeg

E4850314-AD23-4090-B420-E1EFAA587710.jpeg

Aww, Eric, he can't sell that! It's a great ride! I have a thing for long roofs. Hope he is picky about the home it goes to.

DAC

I feel the same exact way Dac, I don’t want him to sell it and I’m gonna miss it when it goes, but its his decision and you can’t change it. I hope he’s picky too but at this point I think he doesn’t really care, he just wants it gone. He’s also gonna sell this one too soon he’s had since 1983…..

BE27CA3C-8859-4892-A07B-7FA632E7B516.jpeg

67 fury. We had a wagon like that too before Mom had the 73, and Dad had a 4 door 68.

Like when mom had the 73 wagon, dad had a 72 fury wagon. The 73 was what was known then as a "sport suburban" version, dads 72 was a "custom suburban". Both were green but not the same green as each other. Mom's had the 3rd seat, dads didn't.

My son now has a 72 sport, kind of a gold with the contact paper woodgrain. His 2nd 72.
His first was identical to what my dad had and sold around 1980. Same green. I don't think it was the same car but it very well could have been. He sold the green one back to the PO when he got the gold one (which is in a lot better shape especially underneath) but the whole time he had his green one the PO begged and pleaded with my kid to sell it back. For some reason it was the one car he'd had sold, and kicked himself for selling....
My parents moved on to Dodge vans when station wagons shrunk.

Last edited:
I feel the same exact way Dac, I don’t want him to sell it and I’m gonna miss it when it goes, but its his decision and you can’t change it. I hope he’s picky too but at this point I think he doesn’t really care, he just wants it gone. He’s also gonna sell this one too soon he’s had since 1983…..

View attachment 79513
My biggest paranoia about selling these great cars, Eric, is some moron will buy them, slam them on the ground and put 22" wheels on. Guess that's up to the buyer. That '67 is a beauty too.

DAC

What engines are in those furys? I was younger than driving age and I don't remember exactly why, but dad always cussed the 360 in the 72, everybody (mom dad older brother and sister) liked driving the 73 with it's 2 bbl 400 better than the 72. I do remember them saying that 400 was better on gas.... We only had the 72 a few years but we had the 73 seemingly forever... The 72 went away in 1980 right after my sister passed away (wasnt accident related) we still had the 73 @ few years after I graduated from HS in 85.
Id bet we had that 73 a good 12-15 years.
The 73 had split bench ( the backs were bucket seat backs) and the 72 had a plain standard bench seat.

Very nice cars.

I have a 92 D250 rear wheel drive Dodge Truck with the 360 in it. The truck is getting pretty rough around the edges. It would not start the last time I tried, late summer last year. I think the ignition trigger might be the issue. I need to get it running. A lot easier to sell if it actually runs.
Located where? I have some nice doors and fenders in the shed for those trucks
The only thing I didn't like about 91-93 was that they had the most hideous looking grille of the bunch... Of those trucks I liked the looks of 86-90 the best but didn't mind the 81-85.
I'm actually wondering if I could somehow make one out of a 72-73 fit my 85... If you remember the TV show "emergency" that was what squad 51 was..... I do have a 72-78 "bird bath" hood here for my truck and all that is needed to make it look like it came that way...
I need to get going on the body work on mine.
Pass side rocker (smashed not rotten)
Back wheel arches (they're not really bad, I see 30 years newer trucks around here that are worse rotten) I actually have a pair of rust free full bedsides for the 80s-93 trucks.
Originals cut off an 88 down in Georgia. Not Chinese reproductions. The originals on the truck now, are more crinkled than rusted.
Debating whether I want to put them onto mine or fix what's there.
Passenger side door again crinkled and since I have at least 3 straight rust free ones it's easier to just swap....
The PO was so blind that he'd find a way to scrape the side of an empty airplane hanger pulling it in/backing out...
Mine is just a slant 6 that will stay at least for now. I rebuilt it completely, and did a ton of extra work on it... Shaved block and head 0.100" between them (yeah almost 1/8") oversized valves, ported the head, sent the cam out and had it reground, etc.
Problem now is trying to decide which trans to run..the original 3spd auto works great, just leaks/ should have the parts here for that.
But I also have a 4 SPD auto with the adapter from /6 to small block that is needed to use that... AND I have a 4 speed overdrive "stick" sitting here too with everything else needed to do that swap.... What to do... There was a day that I wanted nothing to do with anything that had an automatic trans in..... Everything I had was stick. The only thing keeping me from jumping on that idea is all the knee pain I have had lately. Even though it's not the "clutch leg" that's been hurting....

Last edited:
The only thing I didn't like about 91-93 was that they had the most hideous looking grille of the bunch... Of those trucks I liked the looks of 86-90 the best.
My stepdads got one of those too, an 89 with a 318. Its a brown and white two tone. He bought it in 1998 from a coworker. He is NOT planning on selling that though, although he was thinking about it one time. Here are some pictures I took of it with the tractors in 2021 that I borrowed from my post on MTF…..

AD0C6143-49EA-42FC-BA77-DE0AA84ED09D.jpeg

Well folks, the car is sadly sold and unfortunately not in our ownership anymore. My stepdad put it on an auction site called bringatrailer, and it sold on there for $8,000. My stepdad set the reserve for $7,000, so the new caretaker who bought it got a really good deal. In my opinion and other peoples opinions, the car should have sold for a little bit more…. But its an auction site its all about gambling, and its done now so what are ya gonna do. My stepdad said its all in what someone is willing to pay. My stepdad is not too sad that its gone…. but me on the other hand, well thats a different story. The car was bought by an attorney in New Jersey, and he had a check made out to my stepdad in our mailbox the next day. He also had a shipper to get the car the next day too, which my stepdad was very surprised about! Anyway, I just figured I would update everyone. Next up for sale on the bringatrailer auction site will be the purple 4-door sedan I posted a picture of in post #8. Here is the listing of the wagon…..

Back