1974 16 HP B&S

Keith R

Engine hasn't been working good lately, did some research and one probable cause was a leaking head gasket, so I removed the cylinder head. The head gasket is good, before I put it back on I need some feedback on the condition on the head and engine block, this is the first time I have removed a head from a small engine and not sure what looks OK and what needs work. Also a picture of the mandatory mouse nest I removed.

Attachments

KennyP

Alice's Creator
Staff member
First pic, gasket was leaking in the 'black' area on the head. Second pic, verified from the 'black' area on the engine. My self, I would make sure the head is flat using fine sandpaper on a piece of glass. And a new head gasket would go on it!

Keith R

I have the new head gasket installed, the engine is running great. I torqued the head bolts at 25 ft/lb started the engine and ran it for 10 minutes, do I re torque the bolts while the engine is hot or do I Waite for it to cool down?

MNGB

Tractorologist
Hi you have more than enough torque on the cylinder head bolts the manual I have says 190 inch lbs or 16 ft lbs says nothing about re torque but to use graphite grease on the bolts no sealer on the head gasket

Keith R

thank you, i got the torque specs from a video I watched on the sequence for tighten the head bolts. they were replacing a head gasket on a 16 HP B&S, I don't have a manual for reference.
I did not use sealer; I never thought about graphite grease on the bolts, I have it and used it before, just didn't resister this time.
I may remove the bolts and apply the grease then re torque to 16 ft lbs, I was uneasy as I torqued to 25 ft lbs seemed like I was applying a lot of force.

Keith

_floater_

Tractorologist
thank you, i got the torque specs from a video I watched on the sequence for tighten the head bolts. they were replacing a head gasket on a 16 HP B&S, I don't have a manual for reference.
I did not use sealer; I never thought about graphite grease on the bolts, I have it and used it before, just didn't resister this time.
I may remove the bolts and apply the grease then re torque to 16 ft lbs, I was uneasy as I torqued to 25 ft lbs seemed like I was applying a lot of force.

Keith
If you lap that head on glass/granite as suggested, do it in a figure eight pattern. ;)

MNGB

Tractorologist

Keith
Hi Kieth your torque is probably ok I kind of thought that 16 ft lbs was low but that's what the B&S manual said I think doing the torquing in the right pattern is more important