1987 roper gtk 18

gismo

Hi I am new to this site , I am wondering if any body else has a roper gtk 18 garden tractor ? I think it's tome to change the transaxle fluid but I can't seem to find any ideas on to do it . any ideas . Thanks a lot for any help gismo

Welcome.....Don't know much about the Ropers, had one once but sold it. There should be a drain plug somewhere on the bottom of the transaxle

Attachments

• Roper 004 (Medium).jpg
    Roper 004 (Medium).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 28
That looks like it may have a sealed trans axle. Those are packed with Moly type grease.

I would like to see a picture of the green Ford at the top of the picture.

No The tag on the transaxle says 2300 there are other numbers after the 23 but I can't make them out. This roper is a ayp/roper that was made the year ayp took over the roper company. this model and the 1988 roper gtk18 is identical in every way . It has the kohler opposed twin 18 hp engine and the 6 speed hi/lo transaxle

No The tag on the transaxle says 2300 there are other numbers after the 23 but I can't make them out. This roper is a ayp/roper that was made the year ayp took over the roper company. this model and the 1988 roper gtk18 is identical in every way . It has the kohler opposed twin 18 hp engine and the 6 speed hi/lo transaxle

We had one of those growing up. They are nice. Ugly, but pretty capable.

Ok, 6 speed W/hi lo takes 5 qts of 30W non-detergent, drain plug is on the bottom, Fill should be next to the axle housing. Picture above threw me off with the keyed axle, yours should be 5 lug. Here is my Roper.

Attachments

• P1110323.JPG
    P1110323.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 21
  • P1130108.JPG
    P1130108.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 20
Typical Sears transaxle!

I have switched over to 80 - 90 w rear end fluid. I have been doing that for a decade. No ill-effects, but it does seem to shift it nicer and maybe be quieter.

some guys will remove the shifter to fill it, as it is much much easier to do it that way. If you are going to use the pipe fitting, still take one of the shifter bolts out to allow for a breather.

I have switched over to 80 - 90 w rear end fluid. I have been doing that for a decade. No ill-effects, but it does seem to shift it nicer and maybe be quieter.

some guys will remove the shifter to fill it, as it is much much easier to do it that way. If you are going to use the pipe fitting, still take one of the shifter bolts out to allow for a breather.
sounds like a good idea to take one on the shifter bolts out to let the air out so the oil will fill the transaxle quicker. I picked up 5 quarts of # 30 non detergent oil to day, so I will get at it soon. the old oil all drained out already .

Shifter is the way to go, also helps to clean and lube the shifter parts under the boot.

My buddy never put anything away and at 68 he's ready to call work quits so he sold his house. That means the toys have to go. I can tell he's heartbroken but they just can't afford to keep everything if he wants to retire. She never worked.
I hope he gets a good dollar for the truck. We put a lot of hours into it.

Thats a lot of coin for that truck. I'd pay 15,000 for it if it were restored to factory. Although I am certainly not a fan of that build style, so my thoughts on value are probably skewed.

That’s to bad Mark that your buddie is in that situation. Hope he gets what he wants out of the truck.

Noel

Back