1991 Sears Craftsman II LT

MNGB

Tractorologist
This fall a friend brought this Craftsman II to my shop and gave it to me, so about a week ago I got it into the shop and started to check it out, its been sitting for years he got disgusted with it cause he couldn't get it to cut even. Anyway I worked on the engine first if I couldn't get it running it was a junker, put a shot of gas in the carb cranked and it started right off so I checked the gas tank it was clean as could be put so gas in it and cranked nothing squeeze a shot of gas into the carb it would but as soon as the was gone nothing so I removed the carb and cleaned it was pretty clean inside reinstalled it after finally figuring out B&S throttle/coke set up cranked it it started and ran fair, after tuning got it to run better but not right at idle removed the idle screw shot a good shot of carb cleaner in got the air hose gave it a good blast carb cleaner came out all over reinstalled the idle screw cranked it up and it runs perfect, this is a 12 HP B&S IC with cast iron cylinder liners good engines, So now on the other things removed the deck what a deal that is washed it down some with gas too cold for power washing drove it around shifts into all the forward gears good but will not go into reverse. Removed the seat and fenders to see the shift linkage, when trying to go to reverse the shift lever just flexes put a large cresent wrench on the shifter mech and can get it into reverse worked it in and out many times thinking it would loosen up and it seemed to but this morning when I tried it no go. This is a Peerless 802 I think where the shifter moves to the right for reverse and to the left for the 5 forward speed, Does anyone know antthing about these transaxles and there shifting as to what could be causing it to not want to go into reveres?

HPIM1342.JPGHPIM1343.JPGHPIM1344.JPGHPIM1345.JPGHPIM1346.JPG

I'm here too, This is a GT-3000 or 4000. If the 6 speed transaxle is like mine it should have a fill plug near the shifter. I add "00" grease annually, this may help your shifting issue.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 8
I'm here too, This is a GT-3000 or 4000. If the 6 speed transaxle is like mine it should have a fill plug near the shifter. I add "00" grease annually, this may help your shifting issue.
Thanks larrybl, I was looking at the manual and was thinking along those lines, I think I seen that these transazles are filled with grease so I'm think that thegear to shaft is dry not liking to mover or the shifter detent is dry and stiff, thanks for the picture I see I have to try to get the pulley off to get at the plug its pretty rusty will have to start soaking it
HPIM1351.JPGHPIM1352.JPGHPIM1353.JPGHPIM1354.JPG

Last edited:
Top Pulley is held on with a snap ring, careful with the woodruff key, mine fell out and I had to get a new one. They use grease, but I scored some "00" and it is real thick, and a funnel will flow in in a couple hours.

My dad bought one of those brand new in spring of 93. He kept it a month and returned it to sears. It would actually throw dirt chunks when making a turn in the yard.

Not sure if something was bent or broken on the frame. Sears sent their repair guy out 3 times, he changed a slew of parts, and never fixed it.

You don't see those often around here anymore. I think some of the older LT units are over looked for cool factor. Definitely worth saving.

This morning I got the drive pulley ff the transaxle had some fun getting the snap ring off the holes were full of rust and the snap ring tool tips would engage finally got it off its about 40% rust awaytried pulling up on the pulley would only go about /4" so shot some oil on it and got my die grinder with a small stone went around the top of the shaft and it came right off. Found about 1" of composted grass on top got that cleared offr and to my dismay no fill plug I see the shift detent ball spring and set screw and another screw but no fill plug, so this afternoon will see if the screw will come out and if the hole goes into the trans, if so I. thinking of put in 80-90 wt gear lube thinking it will soak into to the grease and soften it

Hey GB, I have a similar axle opened up on a bench waiting for me to get back to it. I think its a Peerless 801. This one was really rusty around the shift lever shaft. I had to split it to clean up the shaft. That lead to a full cleaning and then hay season started so there it sits. I think you can fill through the neutral safety switch hole if it has one. I could be wrong on that. I do know that they are easier to fill when they are split.

I've watch some video's on Youtube where they say damaged shift keys can cause problems also. It the shift lever is stiff in both directions I would suspect a rusty shaft, if its only a problem going in reverse it may be something internal like rust or just dried out grease. I'll dig though my old pics and post a few of what I found inside.

Hey GB, I have a similar axle opened up on a bench waiting for me to get back to it. I think its a Peerless 801. This one was really rusty around the shift lever shaft. I had to split it to clean up the shaft. That lead to a full cleaning and then hay season started so there it sits. I think you can fill through the neutral safety switch hole if it has one. I could be wrong on that. I do know that they are easier to fill when they are split.

I've watch some video's on Youtube where they say damaged shift keys can cause problems also. It the shift lever is stiff in both directions I would suspect a rusty shaft, if its only a problem going in reverse it may be something internal like rust or just dried out grease. I'll dig though my old pics and post a few of what I found inside.
Thanks cjet69, and thanks for the heades up on the make and model going in to the shop in a bit will look again see what I can figure out and yes if you have pics post

Following along, Gary, I've got one that's about 5 years older laying out back. It is probably similar and someday it might be a project too.

DAC

This axle is in my John Deere 160. It obviously got water in it and things were starting to rust. The problem that I had was the shift lever was really stiff because of the rust build up on the shaft where it goes through the case made it super tight. I wire brushed it and it moves freely now. I need to get it assembled to see if it shifts good now after a good cleaning and new '00' grease.

Attachments

• 100_3044 (Medium).JPG
    100_3044 (Medium).JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_3050 (Medium).JPG
    100_3050 (Medium).JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_3053 (Medium).JPG
    100_3053 (Medium).JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_3054 (Medium).JPG
    100_3054 (Medium).JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_3055 (Medium).JPG
    100_3055 (Medium).JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_3056 (Medium).JPG
    100_3056 (Medium).JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_3059 (Medium).JPG
    100_3059 (Medium).JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_3061 (Medium).JPG
    100_3061 (Medium).JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_3069 (Medium).JPG
    100_3069 (Medium).JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_3070 (Medium).JPG
    100_3070 (Medium).JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 7
Thank you cjet69 for the good pics I haven't done much with it the last few days and probably not today, so when you split it to open it did you have it right side up or upside down? My tranaxle is a bit different I spent so time yesterdat trying to clean the grease and gunk off the RH side where the data tag is suppose to be but didn't any thing. One on my problems is I'm not real ambitious about removing the trans and working on it :confused:. Just about everwhere I read this model gets real low reviews and it need all 4 tires or at least tubes in all 4 the headlight lens is gone so it looks like crap it covered with tree sap and moss so I just may pull the engine and look for a better rider with a bad engine

I split it right side up. Do you have a model number for the lawn tractor? Might be able to get an idea what trans it has by that #.

Happy happy happy I got it shifting, I used Noels trick and drilled a hole in the top squeezed oil in yesterday, this afternoon I pumped in about a cup od 30wt/STP mix started running the shifter thur a gears I feel it was shifting easier tried reverse ande after a time or two it got easier pretty soon it would shift in to reverse ran it thur the full range of gear and it is shifting tomorrow I'l install the pulley start the engine jack one rear wheel up and run it in all the gears thinking it will throw the oil around and lube things up looked in the storage area and found a set of good looking rear tires so will get them off the old Gilson and put them on the Craftsman II The model is a 917-257470 I've searched and can't find all that much the manual I did find to download is only half complete the first 26 pages are good but the last 20 with the wiring diagram the parts breakdown and the transaxle are left off if anyone has a complete one I would be interested

HPIM1355.JPGHPIM1356.JPGHPIM1357.JPG

Happy happy happy I got it shifting, I used Noels trick and drilled a hole in the top squeezed oil in yesterday, this afternoon I pumped in about a cup od 30wt/STP mix started running the shifter thur a gears I feel it was shifting easier tried reverse ande after a time or two it got easier pretty soon it would shift in to reverse ran it thur the full range of gear and it is shifting tomorrow I'l install the pulley start the engine jack one rear wheel up and run it in all the gears thinking it will throw the oil around and lube things up looked in the storage area and found a set of good looking rear tires so will get them off the old Gilson and put them on the Craftsman II The model is a 917-257470 I've searched and can't find all that much the manual I did find to download is only half complete the first 26 pages are good but the last 20 with the wiring diagram the parts breakdown and the transaxle are left off if anyone has a complete one I would be interested

View attachment 34929View attachment 34930View attachment 34931
This manual is a little off # wise, but should give you some help.

Attachments

• 917258534.pdf
    8 MB · Views: 2
Went into the shop this mornibg and tried shifting and it was working so I installed the drive pulley and belt, jacked up one rear wheel started the engine put it in gear and let the clutch out it works in all 5 forward and reverse let it run in different gears hoping that some of the oilwould get slashed around and lubricate things inside, so next is to reassemble all the things I took apart to get at stuff thanks to all for your help and suggestions guess I'll see if it can be brought back to life

Worked a little on the Craftsman pop the bead off the RH front tire blew all around the bead and applied some slime around and then aired it up ( it had a bead leak) added slime to the LH front tire, installed a new positive batter cable terminal and put a battery in place started it up and drove around to let the slime work its way around and into the leaks to sea, the transaxle is shifting nice now so that's taken care of. The darn carb is not quite right at full throttle had it off tried to remove the emulsion tube I think the hole in the tube may be partially plugged but no go on getting it out so I shoot carb cleaner in it and gave it a good blast of air reinstalled its better but not as I'd like it. Tomorrow I'm going to put a good shot of Sea Foam in the gas tank and see if it will clean it out

Back