2021 Current Lawn and Garden Tractor Market-My Observations Part-3

GT48DXLS

Tractorologist
Now for the brands with actual Dealers and service for tractors verses zero turns.

1) Husqvarna, they have models only available at the Dealer, the brand code will be a "D" as in GT48DXLS verses GT48XLS.

2) Cub Cadet/Yanmar Dealers.

3) Simplicity Tractors. (Snapper is the Simplicity Regent?)

4) John Deere (if it's at the box store you can buy direct from the Dealer).

5) Kubota lawn and Garden tractors.

Husqvarna quickly, I don't trust them and I'm willing to show through there own words and adverts to include vendor deception and warranty deception with the now close to 30GB of data on them I have, but when requested for specific purposes. I would only recommend them to the project builder that wants to build a great GT out of a cheap package like I did, knowing they won't have a warranty up front, but that's the only way.

Cub Cadet, is an MTD brand like Craftsman, troy Built, and some store brands, but Cub Cadet is the premium line. They offer one model of actual Garden Tractor with the Hydro Gear BDU-10 transaxle that is very good, and very maintainable, the XT3 is only available from a Dealer. If you have a Dealer in your area I recommend looking at the difference between the XT2 and XT3 for your needs. My question with them will be in how long parts are supported. I believe (not fact) that parts are supported longer than any brand at a box store but not as long as the top 3 brands of lawn and garden tractors.

XT3 GSX MSRP$5,599. 25HP Kohler Command series (the command series has a very good reputation like Kawasaki), 54" mowing deck? Fully welded chassis, a real bargain in the Garden Tractor class. The BDU-10 has a rear axle that rivals the Tuff Torq K72 at 30MM or 1 and 1/4" in diameter axles and differential lock for traction under a load- drive shaft driven with belts.

That brings me to the top of the chain in every way. These Dealers give the specs to safely use ground engagement implements on their GT's, and only these three brands, that's a big deal, and honest in my opinion.

John Deere
. I can get parts manuals and parts for tractors that are 30 years old +. They are more expensive, but there is peace of mind in owning a Deere when they expect you to maintain them for decades in some models and not just throw them away. John Deere customers are usually very satisfied with there product. John Deere is the only one I know that has a special Tuff Torq K46 HD? that is maintainable, just for them ordered specific from Tuff Torq with drain bolts.

Since you have a farm and want actual reliable service from your tractor, in John Deere I recommend their X series, at minimum the X300 but the X500 is just truly a well built tractor that your son will only have to change the oil in for years, a solid machine.

The X330 MSRP $3,599. 22HP Deere brand motor, shares the same fully welded chassis that the X500 GT has (very strong), 48" mowing deck, Tuff Torq K46 (I think this is the weak point) but so much more.

The X570 MSRP$ 6,399. 24HP water cooled? Kawasaki FS730V (I have the air cooled version of this, great motor), fully welded chassis, 48" mowing deck, Tuff Torq K72 transaxle with hydraulic accessory ports for ground engagement implements (light).

The X570 is a true Garden Tractor.

If Snapper comes up, it's revived by Simplicity see Simplicity.

Simplicity Regent Lawn Tractor MSRP$2,949. 48" mowing deck, Hybrid "C" channel Pan chassis (same as the Snapper), 25HP Briggs Pro Series motor, Tuff Torq K46 transaxle.

Simplicity Broadmore Lawn Tractor with perks MSRP$5,249. 48" mowing deck, Heavy welded hybrid channel chassis, 25HP Briggs, Tuff Torq K62 transaxle (Tuff Torq commercial series ground engagement qualified).

Simplicity customers are also like Deere customers very satisfied and some are fanatical. Well built machines/service/parts are supported for decades.

Kubota. I'm told that Kubota builds there lawn tractors for their farm/ heavy equipment customers.

Kubota T2290KWT-48 MSRP $5,249
. or the GR2020G Garden Tractor MSRP$8,856. People have put thousands of hours on these over decades. Very nice, comfortable, well built machines.

The support provided to the customers of Simplicity, John Deere, and Kubota are first class in every way. If the sticker is high, look used. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a GT from Kubota, Deere, or Simplicity that was 10 years old, I would hesitate to buy new from the non premium brands knowing the product is sold in different colors but is the same product across brands and without much actual warranty backing, especially Husqvarna.

All this to get to my advice

You need your tractor more than the average person like myself. I would start at the top. Make appointments with your local John Deere Dealer and try the X5 first, then the X3. Make an appointment with your local Kubota Dealer and try the GR2020G with diesel without diesel, then the T2290KWT. Make an appointment with your local Simplicity Dealer and try the Conquest GT, then the Broadmore, then the Regent. If you have a local Cub Cadet Yanmar Dealer try the XT3 GSX then an XT2.

These premium Dealers will have models you can actually operate on their grounds, get a feel for how sturdy and confident they are. How easy or difficult they actually are. They will most likely be all too happy and with pride show you there service and parts departments just like a quality car Dealer.

After you experience quality and get a feel for it, then go to the box store and at least sit on one, open the hood, if they allow you to push it, do this too. I'm willing to bet if you do this, actually do this, the sticker on the premium brands won't hurt so much and it will be very clear what you want by aligning your expectation outside of advertisements and cheap prices. I believe that whatever you choose after all this and a fine dinner (remember to treat yourself) you will be happy with it.

Feel free to ask me for some proof if you need it in this process, you aren't buying a tractor for three years then throwing it away, but the stores are more than willing to sell you a tractor that needs a Coke can to keep running.

:)

My x570 isn't water cooled. Nor is dads x590.

The x570 does not have hydraulics. I have a Johnny products electric sleeve hitch for mine.

The x590 is fuel injected with hydraulics.

Unless this changed for 2021

I can say from experience John deere has stood behind these products. I've had no complaints about my dealer nor the service they provide.

I would not recommend a k46 transaxle to anyone unless they are cutting a tiny 1 acre or less lot that is 100% flat and they do not pull a wagon with anyone weight and never plan on a plow or add on.

Last edited:
My x570 isn't water cooled. Nor is dads x590.

The x570 does not have hydraulics. I have a Johnny products electric sleeve hitch for mine.

The x590 is fuel injected with hydraulics.

Unless this changed for 2021

I can say from experience John deere has stood behind these products. I've had no complaints about my dealer nor the service they provide.

I would not recommend a k46 transaxle to anyone unless they are cutting a tiny 1 acre or less lot that is 100% flat and they do not pull a wagon with anyone weight and never plan on a plow or add on.

Thank you for the input, and as I find very common among the Deere owners, they are happy with their product.

Your X570 does have the K72? If so, the aux hydraulic ports that control either steering or deck lift, I'm told are also capable of remote filter, and oil cooler options + can be used for a small hydraulic cylinder front or rear? Did your K72 not come with the aux ports? If so, what year? 2021 is supposed to have aux ports on all K72?

Do you agree, the X5 series is a very solid Garden Tractor overall? For others thinking about a purchase, any other GT's that you have seen on the current market that are close/comparable to your X5 series?

Thank you for the input, and as I find very common among the Deere owners, they are happy with their product.

Your X570 does have the K72? If so, the aux hydraulic ports that control either steering or deck lift, I'm told are also capable of remote filter, and oil cooler options + can be used for a small hydraulic cylinder front or rear? Did your K72 not come with the aux ports? If so, what year? 2021 is supposed to have aux ports on all K72?

Do you agree, the X5 series is a very solid Garden Tractor overall? For others thinking about a purchase, any other GT's that you have seen on the current market that are close/comparable to your X5 series?
You missed John Deere's flagship Garden Tractors, the X700's. They are the only series that compares (and in some ways surpasses) the older 400 series. There are a couple in the X500's, they are basically early X700's. Working at a dealership I have found many people actually look at SCUT's if they plan on gardening and doing serious yard work. For me, I'll stick with my 70's to 80's Deere herd, built and last like tanks.

2018. K72. No ports

The x590 has power steering and hydraulic deck lift.

If I compare my dad's x590 k72 with my x570 k72 you can see the port location on the axle but it's blank. His also has a filter. Mine does not.

The x570 is an awesome machine. I do not regret the purchase at all. I'd stack it up against any equivalent gt from the 70s. I got tired of working on tractors every time I went to use them. I'd rather cut grass for an hour than work on the tractor for an hour and spend an hour cutting.

John deeres website does not list any changes between 2018 and 2021 for the x570.

You missed John Deere's flagship Garden Tractors, the X700's. They are the only series that compares (and in some ways surpasses) the older 400 series. There are a couple in the X500's, they are basically early X700's. Working at a dealership I have found many people actually look at SCUT's if they plan on gardening and doing serious yard work. For me, I'll stick with my 70's to 80's Deere herd, built and last like tanks.
I love hearing about the X700's they are quit a machine, and I understand the argument between them and the SCUT. The Deere 430, or 455? yeah they are tuff and seem on par with some SCUTs of today.

2018. K72. No ports

The x590 has power steering and hydraulic deck lift.

If I compare my dad's x590 k72 with my x570 k72 you can see the port location on the axle but it's blank. His also has a filter. Mine does not.

The x570 is an awesome machine. I do not regret the purchase at all. I'd stack it up against any equivalent gt from the 70s. I got tired of working on tractors every time I went to use them. I'd rather cut grass for an hour than work on the tractor for an hour and spend an hour cutting.

John deeres website does not list any changes between 2018 and 2021 for the x570.
Thank you for this, I'll look into what I have for 2021, good to correct if there is no change.

I have another question about your K72, does the reservoir attach to the Hydraulic and Gear fill chamber?

Back