316 Front Weight Bracket Build

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
I found a set of prints online for a 322 weight bracket and that's what I needed to start one for the 316. Nice part is that is will also fit my 1974 112. It's gonna take some noodling as I would like to incorporate the brush guard I made some time back. That I would like to lay down flat also for a tote of sorts. Supposed to rain tomorrow, so I'm open to ideas/suggestions. So far, I have built the outside brackets. I found a pair of spring latches and they should be here Thursday.
https://www.amazon.com/Buyers-Produ...5932&sr=8-16&keywords=heavy+duty+spring+latch
Anyways, on to the pics. Here is where the brackets will mount, using the holes with red dots.
DSCN4359.JPG

I got all the measurement for hole location and cut some 1/4" X 3.4 pieces. I clamped the LH & RH parts together to drill the holes, then beveled where the welds would go. Welded them together, came out pretty flat.
DSCN4360.JPG DSCN4361.JPG DSCN4362.JPG

Here's both brackets on the tractor.
DSCN4363.JPG

And here's the brush guard.
DSCN4364.JPG DSCN4365.JPG DSCN4366.JPG

Now to figure out what's needed there and what's needed to use my lead suitcase weights. Also here's a bracket on the 112.
DSCN4368.JPG

I need to cut clearance for the bolt in behind the bracket, no bolts sticking out on the 316.

Attachments

• DSCN4367.JPG
    DSCN4367.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 10
The more I think about it, I'm going to make another set of brackets for the 112 and put the brush guard/tote on it. This set for the 316 will be for suitcase weights. I'll set it up for all 4 that I have at the moment. That would put 160 lbs up there! Doubt I'll need that much weight. 2 (80 lbs) is usually enough.

The voices in my head tell me to change out that upper spreader to a piece of angle iron. Better chance of it not warping as I weld it.

Indeed an angle would be better otherwise the structure will not be as sturdy but the tractor's frame would help on that once mounted.

Will you make V grooves where you will lay your welds?

Indeed an angle would be better otherwise the structure will not be as sturdy but the tractor's frame would help on that once mounted.

Will you make V grooves where you will lay your welds?
Yes I do make beveled ends and such. Not as pretty with the arc welder, but mig gas is running low. I used a piece of about 3" strap across the front and the 1.25" to make an angle for the front top. Mounted the other separator down at the lower end and it didn't warp out of shape.
DSCN4371.JPG DSCN4372.JPG

Got the spring latches in. They came in an oversize box.
DSCN4373.JPG DSCN4374.JPG

Got them attached.
DSCN4375.JPG

Time for a test fit!
DSCN4376.JPG DSCN4377.JPG

All is good! Now to make up the weight holder!

Last edited:
Nice project to follow Kenny. It turned out nice. I like the use of the spring pins instead of regular pins. I seen a JD 318 painted black with green pinstripes & yellow wheels. It was more of a show tractor but looked good. It wouldn't be too popular with the die hearted JD fans.

Nice project to follow Kenny. It turned out nice. I like the use of the spring pins instead of regular pins. I seen a JD 318 painted black with green pinstripes & yellow wheels. It was more of a show tractor but looked good. It wouldn't be too popular with the die hearted JD fans.
The bracket I build for the 112 will get them too. If I can, I may get several sets of these for future use.

Aren't most John Deere accessories made this way with welded pins at the bottom and spring pins at top? It's this way on my 214 for the snowblower, it's different on older models may be?

Great job Kenny! Also did you ever try self-shielded wire in your wire-feed welder? I am doing most all of my welds this way, no gas bottle I forget to close and it works in any conditions. Might not be the prettiest welds but strong enough.

Aren't most John Deere accessories made this way with welded pins at the bottom and spring pins at top? It's this way on my 214 for the snowblower, it's different on older models may be?

Great job Kenny! Also did you ever try self-shielded wire in your wire-feed welder? I am doing most all of my welds this way, no gas bottle I forget to close and it works in any conditions. Might not be the prettiest welds but strong enough.
I've tried it and don't care for the mess (bb's) it leaves. I have a small spool of it, but it's a pain to swap over to and then back. I am getting better with the arc welder, though.

Back