48" blade for the JD 316

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
With the help of quite a few folks I got enough measurements to start building a mount for my 48" blade to go on the 316. I have the blade A-Frame made up so far. the main frame parts a 2" X 3/16"channel.
Here's what I had made up for the angle latch:
DSCN4965.JPG DSCN4966.JPG

Here's one side of the frame with the hole drilled for the pivot. The scribe mark is where it will be bent in.
DSCN4967.JPG DSCN4968.JPG

I needed a 20° bend. I notched the sides and used the 20 ton press to make the bends.
DSCN4970.JPG DSCN4971.JPG

I made some layout lines on a piece of plywood and put the parts together.
DSCN4972.JPG

I clamped it all down to the plywood and proceeded to weld it up.
DSCN4973.JPG DSCN4974.JPG

Fit's on the blade just fine.
DSCN4975.JPG

Now I need to find some 1/4" plate to make the mount for the tractor. Then I can figure out the mounts for the hyd. cylinder for the lift. This may take a bit, I have a place to go for the metal, but it will be next week before I can go.

Last edited:
I made a new pin for the pivot/angle. Used the top section of an old AYP steering shaft. The middle section is the lift pivot pin. I reamed the threads from a 3/4" nut for the bottom and applied a little weld and paint.
DSCN4976.JPG DSCN4977.JPG

Here's all the parts in order of attachment:
DSCN4978.JPG

Dressed up the angle handle a bit:
DSCN4979.JPG

And as installed:
DSCN4980.JPG

I made a new pin for the pivot/angle. Used the top section of an old AYP steering shaft. The middle section is the lift pivot pin. I reamed the threads from a 3/4" nut for the bottom and applied a little weld and paint.
View attachment 20947 View attachment 20948

Here's all the parts in order of attachment:
View attachment 20949

Dressed up the angle handle a bit:
View attachment 20950

And as installed:
View attachment 20951
Looking good Kenny I like the design.

Went to the scrap yard yesterday, but they have closed down. Gotta find another source for sheet metal now.
Its getting harder to find good scrap without having to buy it new. I found some locally a couple of weeks ago but had the wife's car & couldn't haul it. I need to go back it was some nice 1/4" plate & some 2"x1/4" angle. My plow has been on hold because of no local scrap.

Haven't located any 1/4 strap but I do have some 1/4" X 3" angle I can cut pieces from. I am only going to need about a 2.5" (+/-) width so that will work. Just a lot of cutting and bevel grinding to weld it together. But it gives me something to occupy the time. We have decent weather until Thursday, so some progress will be made!
One of the springs for the top latches was broken but I found some at McMaster-Carr that should be here in a couple days. If they will work okay, I'll post the part #'s for you guys.

Feeling better today! Yesterday, I put the tractor on 4 pieces of 3/4 plywood and clamped the cylinder attaching piece in place. Today, I may see about getting it welded in, depends on the neck as the welding helmet can make that worse. I will only tack weld the rear cylinder attach parts until I get the hydraulics hooked up. I can fine tune there. I'll have to spend about $60 on hoses and 2 new quick connects, doubt the ones on the front of tractor are good.

Feeling better today! Yesterday, I put the tractor on 4 pieces of 3/4 plywood and clamped the cylinder attaching piece in place. Today, I may see about getting it welded in, depends on the neck as the welding helmet can make that worse. I will only tack weld the rear cylinder attach parts until I get the hydraulics hooked up. I can fine tune there. I'll have to spend about $60 on hoses and 2 new quick connects, doubt the ones on the front of tractor are good.
Glad your feeling better Kenny. I'm enjoying your build as usual. I can adapt your project to my 318 when I get it back together hopefully this winter.

Back