960 Disc Drive

Keith R

Tractorologist
The disc drive gave out in my White Garden Tractor, about a couple months ago it started to not disengage, had to shut the tractor off to get it to separate; now it is junk. That disc drive was on tractor when I bought it second hand 18 years ago. Just wondering if this was wear from age or possible something else caused it.
Reason for asking is I can purchase a replacement (- thanks to Lance for steering me to a parts source-) I don't want to install a new on only t find out something else caused the problem other than years of use.

Attachments

• 20211216_181019.jpg
    20211216_181019.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 12
the disc tends to stick to the pressure plates if left outside alot due to rust..... you can get most any machine shop to turn the pressure plates... thats really the only way to really see what the 960 is capable of... those are one of toughest clutch setups built into any GT ever built.... even more robust than the Cub Cadets that so many people like to use in puller projects.

Ive owned, operated, and sold well over 200 garden tractors and to date I have not found another GT than can pull like a 960 in stock class... they are kind of awkward to operate with no hydraulics or electric actuators but if need to hook a chain to a stump that clutch really does make a huge differance "IF" it is rebuilt and kept dry.

028.JPG029.JPG075.JPG097.JPG

I agree with you on the pulling power, I used my tractor for hauling firewood from our wood lot. I have skidded out very large trees pulled out small stumps, love the old beast, it was a work tractor. The pressure plates are in very good condition, I have kept it undercover since I purchased it. The reason it would not disengage while running was the pins had worn halfway through and were catching on the disc drive.
I have driven the 960 for so long that I will be a while getting comfortable driving the Hydrostatic. I have driven it around the yard some getting use to the controls but my left foot is always looking for a clutch pedal and I keep going for a shifting handle.

Ive had the red/white Columbia for about ten years now, and I have had most of the basic attachments although I sold the tiller and furrow plough, still have a mower, cultivator, front plow and snowblower... we got some snow yesterday so Im gonna put the front plow on it tomorrow. When I got the Columbia the keyways on the rear axles/hubs were beat to crap so I swapped in splined axle shafts from a JD110 and Im on the second B&S engine now,.

Ive had a couple 990s and a 995... they are nice tractors to use and ride alot better but they use alot more fuel than the 960 because the hydros need high rpm to work properly.... and I cant get used to the hand controlled hydro regardless of brand name.

Back