A bit of Cultivator Work

Shotgun Wedding

Garlic Jedi
I do this every year after the sweet corn is done. We do 4 plantings per year, separated by 2 week intervals which gives us sweet corn throughout summer. At the end, I take my Lee Valley bill-hook knife and chop down the stalks and then use the Brinly cultivator to dig out the roots. It's tough going...some of those roots get pretty deep and the cultivator sure doesn't like it, but it beats digging!!! The hardest part is lining up the cultivator teeth just right and taking a run at it...takes a few swipes.

Anyway, the job is done and worked up the ground a bit also. Only took one pic. The Cub GTX took it all in stride, love that Johhny Products electric sleeve hitch!

cult2018.jpg

Do those cultivators need extra weight? I have to lock my lift arm to avoid going too deep even without adding ballast.

I have the hitch on float mode, so I find it runs better in float. Regular ground it doesn't "need" the weight, but when digging those roots out, it helps keep it down, otherwise it has the tendency to ride up over the roots and stalks.

Always fun getting the garden ready for winter. I was thinking of shredding the corn and letting it in place this year.
I do that every year. I pile the viney stuff up in workable piles then take an old push type lawn mower over it then spread it all out. The leafy stuff I put in my compost bins.

any waste matter i get which is not too much i feed through a 5 HP branch mulcher with anything else i can find , then i spread it as i wand , i even put hay and cow manure through the mulcher makes it all easy to use and dig in

Shane

Back