Ags with chains

Gtractor

Tractorologist
Ya'll know the age-old question about ags-vs.-turfs with tire chains.....

Well, I saw this pic of a David Brown in Sweden and thought I'd share. The design of these chains would work well with ags and keep the iron out on top of the tread where it actually does some good. No reason why it wouldn't work on a smaller scale ... like garden tractor sized tires.

Attachments

• chains.jpg
    chains.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 30
Here in the Dakotas chains on ag tires was pretty common in the winter on loader tractors. Also pretty useful in mud and were very effective on ice. With the advent of front wheel assist and larger tractors the use of chains has been reduced.

Two types of chains for tractors, basically field chains and road chains. The road chains are like we use on our Gt's, straight across the tire. The Ag chains, or at least the pair I had on my IH 400, the cross chains came from an angle to the center where they were joined together (all four) to a large ring. This kept the chains between the tire bars and the ground and did a heck of a job of gripping, except on frozen ground. Studs is about the only thing that will grip then and they too have gone by the way side.. The chains I had were 3/8" diameter chain and they were heavy. Almost a 2 man job to put them on.

Two types of chains for tractors, basically field chains and road chains. The road chains are like we use on our Gt's, straight across the tire. The Ag chains, or at least the pair I had on my IH 400, the cross chains came from an angle to the center where they were joined together (all four) to a large ring. This kept the chains between the tire bars and the ground and did a heck of a job of gripping, except on frozen ground. Studs is about the only thing that will grip then and they too have gone by the way side.. The chains I had were 3/8" diameter chain and they were heavy. Almost a 2 man job to put them on.
I have a set of the 23x1050 V-bar chains down here I may never use!

This year JR wanted to try chains with his age tires. I was reluctant to bother knowing all the stories that it doesn't work well. I did it just to try it for the sake of his idea. We have used them on ice, snow, and mud. And all the cross chains are on top of the bars yet Not slipping in between and useless. Still trying to figure out why my experience is so different than everyone else. Neat idea above

i used them both ways, the last 5-6 yrs been using a Wheel Horse C195 skid steer w/ v chains and no weights, Before that i used a Wheel horse GT14 w/ turf and v chains without weights, both with 48" blades and I honestly can't tell the difference.
I have a gravel drive to the garage and out to the shop is grass. Only time i get to spinning and this applies to either set up is if the snow is heavy and deep. my drive is 125' x 14 with a 3 1/2 car garage and the shop is 200' from the garage.

My White has 16" rear wheels with turf tires and I leave the standard chains on it year around. Have a creek crossing I use a few times and need them there. Also have about 6 set hanging in the machine shed, all the way from RAM size up to the 12" wide tires on the Bolens QT's. They will probably hang there till they use them to keep me in the ground.

I think a lot of people that say chains don't help are using chains with a cross chain ever 4 side links. 12" tires need them ever 2 side links.

Back