Air cylinder to Hydraulic?

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
I have this air cylinder. Been wondering if it could be converted to hydraulic use. I'm sure I would have to take it apart and change out the seals.
DSCN1894.JPG

Looks to be a 2" bore, maybe 8" stroke.

It may work the way it is. Get the ram extended and see what shape it is in. To much pitting and it probably won't work either way without leaking.

It may work the way it is. Get the ram extended and see what shape it is in. To much pitting and it probably won't work either way without leaking.
Think I did that and the rod looked okay. Just not sure if it would handle the pressure hydraulics has. Maybe I need to disassemble it and have a look.

I feel like you could use a hydraulic cylinder as an air cylinder, but not the other way around. Hydraulic pressure is so much more than air. Probably best case, blow out the seals, worst case, split the cylinder.

I feel like you could use a hydraulic cylinder as an air cylinder, but not the other way around. Hydraulic pressure is so much more than air. Probably best case, blow out the seals, worst case, split the cylinder.
I think you are right there. Oh well, I'll find another use for it!

If you keep your hydraulic pressure down around 200 lbs it will likely work fine. I would definitely clean it thoroughly befor hooking it to any of my hydraulic systems. Don

If you keep your hydraulic pressure down around 200 lbs it will likely work fine. I would definitely clean it thoroughly befor hooking it to any of my hydraulic systems. Don
Well, Alice is up closer to 1000PSI, so I can't use it there. And I don't have more that single-spool valves on anything else.

You can probably replace the seals with hydraulic seals. Baum Hydraulics more than likely has the seals for that.

When the dump cylinder on my 8N front loader was bleeding of and allowing the bucket to dump by it's self I contemplated a repair. At the local farm and ranch store I found a new cylinder that would work with minimal modification for $120. Just made more sense. Finding the small garden tractor size hydraulics parts is what is difficult. Don

When the dump cylinder on my 8N front loader was bleeding of and allowing the bucket to dump by it's self I contemplated a repair. At the local farm and ranch store I found a new cylinder that would work with minimal modification for $120. Just made more sense. Finding the small garden tractor size hydraulics parts is what is difficult. Don
That's why I am looking at this one. Right bore and stroke for several options.

Back