AMERIND MacKISSIC chippershreader

Got air in the tire weather cracks are leaking. Got it off the truck and decided to pull the tins.
20220701_123756[1].jpg
Yep needed a little attention here
20220701_123802[1].jpg
Gave the little fellas a taste of carb cleaner and evicted them.20220701_124112[1].jpg
Found some stuff laying around loose in there.20220701_124119[1].jpg
Appears to be a screw missing. 20220701_123826[1].jpg
the grommet in the bottom of the fuel tank is used up.
Checked the oil and it looked great. Put a battery in it and hit the key. Nothing. shorted the solenoid And it spun great but pumped water out the exhaust.
Trouble with being a shade tree mechanic is the shade moves. Got to hot to continue for now.
Don

Last edited:
Got air in the tire weather cracks are leaking. Got it off the truck and decided to pull the tins.
View attachment 55218
Yep needed a little attention here
View attachment 55219
Gave the little fellas a taste of carb cleaner and evicted them.View attachment 55220
Found some stuff laying around loose in there.View attachment 55221
Appears to be a screw missing. View attachment 55222
the grommet in the bottom of the fuel tank is used up.
Checked the oil and it looked great. Put a battery in it and hit the key. Nothing. shorted the solenoid And it spun great but pumped water out the exhaust.
Trouble with being a shad tree mechanic is the shade moves. Got to hot to continue for now.
Don
So far minor problems hopefully the water was just moisture in the exhaust.

I looked in the plug hole and the cylinder appeared to be clean and dry. No sigh of the rusty water that came out of the exhaust. Found an appropriate size of tubing to make a grommet for the gas tank. Pulled the fuel lines off and found what appeared to be water in the fuel pump. Blew out all the lines and the pump. Put some gas in the tank and with the line of the carb pressurized the tank until fuel came out of the line. Played with the ignition switch until it started cranking. With a fair amount of cranking and hand choking it fired up and idled real nice. I think it's going to be a runner.
Now I am looking for my electrical cleaner and switch lube to apply to the ignition switch. It is ugly but I have worse that came back to function with a little attention.
Don

Finally found my CRC switch and contact cleaner. Gave it a spray, worked the key back and forth for a while. Now it works fine. I will provably be doing a test run tomorrow morning when it is cooler.
Don
Test run you mean like chipping or just engine running :eek: when I ran mine for the first time I took the belt off until I got it running good. It was like standing next to a Steam Locomotive! Keep us posted.

Test run you mean like chipping or just engine running :eek: when I ran mine for the first time I took the belt off until I got it running good. It was like standing next to a Steam Locomotive! Keep us posted.
Ran the engine about 10 minuets today. Seems to run fine with no load. Need to give it good load test next, put some wood through it. I have several small pine trees that died. Been cut down for about a year, 4" butt. I haven't sharpened any thing yet so I'll see how it goes.
Don

I tried it some today. Shoved the wood to it with very little success. Didn't strain the engine at all but the blades are so dull they won't cut. Was invited to dinner so not much time to work on it. Can't pass up free food that I don't have to cook. Specially when it is cooked by a person that could make a two by four taste good. Invited to another meal tomorrow. then the next day the wife has appointments. Hopefully I can get back to it Thursday.
Don

Same here hoping you can just reverse them. When I get a chance I want to research your chipper to see how it compares to my Kemp in design. Mine are reversible but from what I can see sharpening is just a matter of squaring off any edges that has rounded from use. I’m sure there is a weight factor also keeping things balanced properly. I’m missing a few so mine needs some attention on the drum.

I kinda thought about getting a decent sized PTO model to go behind my Kubota BX25D, but I'd likely not use it enough to justify, plus would take a lot of money I don't really have for a not so much needed attachment. They are just so satisfying to use!

Hopefully blades are reversible and have a sharp side.
The hammers in the mill drum are reversible. Can actually be turned four ways presenting a new square corner each time. They have already been used on every corner and there is little question they needed every turn. I am thinking they need replaced as sharpening to original square would require removing much to much metal. Makes me wonder about the condition of the rods or shafts they run on.

There are only two actual chipper blades which don't appear to be reversible. One edge is sharpened and the other is left square to but up against against what I would call an abutment plate so that all the force isn't applied to the four bolts in a shear direction. Those two knives can be resharpened. When I shove a big branch in hard against those knives the engine doesn't even seam to notice but they are dull enough that the wood will start to burn from friction.

I have a friend who had a Harbor freight chipper he could use hard for about 4 hours and the knife would be dull. He would sharpen them and go another 4 hours. He replaced the knives once at a rather insane price. Then somehow set the machine on fire It burned down and was sold for scrap. He bought a larger much more expensive machine and still the chipper knives would dull in about four hours. And the knives were much more expensive to replace.

He came to me with the problem and I went to my scrap pile and found an appropriate leaf spring. Took it to my press and bumped the curve out of it. He made new knives out of that and told me they would stay sharp for a day and a half.
Don

Back