Amish tractor

dogsoldier

Tractorologist
We went to a few Amish farm markets yesterday and at the last one was this tractor. I have seen many many tractors but have never seen one with springs in the front wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_155646116.jpg
    IMG_20200626_155646116.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200626_155651117_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200626_155651117_HDR.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 53
They are fairly common in my area. The mennonites buy new tractors and then put them on steel. The church's reason is that it can be used for farming but not out driving. They build these spring wheels to take the shock out and run them all over the roads. Of course, the steel rears aren't nice to pavement.

The spring fronts might take some of the shock out of the steering wheel tying to jerk the wheel right out of the drivers hands? Those rear Ag looking steelies are pretty cool looking too!

DAC

The springs were a hot item for awhile then it switched to rubber blocks. Now a belted wheel is the in thing.

They are fairly common in my area. The mennonites buy new tractors and then put them on steel. The church's reason is that it can be used for farming but not out driving. They build these spring wheels to take the shock out and run them all over the roads. Of course, the steel rears aren't nice to pavement.
From experience, (grew up in Lancaster County PA) those wheels destroy bearings and seals, if you see a tractor on rubber at one of their farm auctions, run, they put them on so it would sell better, 99% chance the axle leaks like a sieve.

I have always thought the amish were semi crazyer than a out house rat.

Large population of them in Clare county Mi. have a team of horses pulling a power unit with a baler on steel wheels behind running off a PTO. Never under stood why they didn't just use a tractor.

Or they are out in th efield with a hay loader gathering hay on the flat rack pull up to a stationary baler and off load the hay into the baller.

Tells me two things, They like to work hard.
Really want to go more modern but fear god to much to do it properly.

Say one thing they have well trained horses.

Al

They are fairly common in my area. The mennonites buy new tractors and then put them on steel. The church's reason is that it can be used for farming but not out driving.

You would think the Bishop would get wise after awhile!

Mennoites seem to be able to get away with more than the true Amish.

Still say they have spent to much time in the out house.

Al

David Miller, the Amish guy who owns the salvage grocery we go to, plus does logging owns modern everything. Trucks, skidders, dozers....literally any modern vehicle. But he doesn't use grid electricity. His buildings/homes all use solar or generators. I don't understand it at all. I'd say some Amish sects expect him going to Hell!

Every Amish locality has their own rules. There are Amish in western Illinois that drive cars. Their are black and have no chrome. Having tires doesn't send you to he77. It's all about home life and keeping the family together as a unit. Not being hooked up to the electric grid keeps them from being dependent on the government. Preppers should understand that.

There are Amish, Hutterite and Mennonite, and each sect vary by location and beliefs. My uncles friend works with a Amish building crew, he basically is their driver. He said the crew he works with don't own or drive cars or trucks, but they are allowed to ride in one.

Back