And this one.

Can’t haul what ya want in a short bed. Most normal lumber is eight feet. So in that truck, not hard to put twelve foot lumber in it with gate down.

Ya, nice truck Aaron. Short or long bed.

My father, many many years ago, would only have, an eight foot box, step side, in line six cylinder, standard transmission truck. His thinkin was lumber is eight feet, easier to get in the box, V8’s and automatics were to hard on gas.

Noel.

Last edited:
Can’t haul what ya want in a short bed. Most normal lumber is eight feet. So in that truck, not hard to put twelve foot lumber in it with gate down.

Ya, nice truck Aaron. Short or long bed.

My father, many many years ago, would only have, an eight foot box, step side, in line six cylinder, standard transmission truck. His thinkin was lumber is eight feet, easier to get in the box, V8’s and automatics were to hard on gas.

Noel.

If i had that truck I wouldn't be hauling lumber in it! I'd be cruising to car shows

For a work beater an 8' bed extend cab would be awesome

Just my colour.

Noel
Looks like through the weeds to be a GMC also! I'm a longbox guy too Noel! If a 4x8 sheet of plywood don't fit in the box with the tailgate shut , it's useless---LOL! I have been driving a 3/4 ton version of that truck for 41 years! On another note, when was plywood invented? For some reason my '55 GMC "longbox" is 89"! The 98" box didn't come out until a couple years later. I think it was 1960 when a real 8' box was produced.

DAC

Ahh. Not sure about that Doug. Some trucks had a 9 foot box back then too. And yes, it’s a GMC. Dad had a 58, which I learned to drive in. Then had a 61. Good question on the plywood lenght.

Noel

Ahh. Not sure about that Doug. Some trucks had a 9 foot box back then too. And yes, it’s a GMC. Dad had a 58, which I learned to drive in. Then had a 61. Good question on the plywood lenght.

Noel
I do know in 1955 here in the US with GMC, the 89" box was the longbox. The 98" box (8'2") was '57-'59. I forget what the shortbox was right off hand, may have been 72". GM put out an 8'6" box for a few years in the '67-'72 era. Several things from US to Canada were different also. That orange GMC would have been standard with leaf springs even in a half ton in the US, and the coil spring rear like the truck you pictured was standard in Canada.

DAC

I see. Jumpins I didn’t know that. I think dads 61 was coil spring in the rear. Was there a difference in the frame, in Canada and US. Dads 61 had the X frame. I’m not sure about the newer ones from 67 to 72.

Noel

GMC and Chevy had a lot for mechanical differences in the US up through '68. For some reason in Canada they were much closer to a Chevy even as far back as '55. For instance a V-8 powered GMC in 1955 produced for the US used a 288 Pontiac engine and a GMC of the same year produced for Canada had a 265 Chevy in them. Don't ask me why---LOL!

DAC

The fella that has the orange GMC I posted yesterday, seen this in his yard today. And while stopped to take that picture saw a 67 four door chev goin along.

Noel

Attachments

• E46EB6AE-E8B7-4D22-B8A9-88A0E0E7BCED.jpeg
    E46EB6AE-E8B7-4D22-B8A9-88A0E0E7BCED.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 919CA1AB-49BA-494E-ADE1-CD566ABBFFAE.png
    919CA1AB-49BA-494E-ADE1-CD566ABBFFAE.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
Bed length is all in what you get used to. I have had both and by far prefer the extra length in 4 door cab and short box. (Avalanche) Full sheets of plywood will go in either one end on top of the tail gate or gate down and strap around the end. 95% of the time that box is empty anyway, unless your a contractor or use it to collect trash. Full size pallet fits in the short box with no problem. 12' boards with a flag and old tire & rim on the inside end and your good to go. Nope, don't want no long box.

Then you wouldn't like my truck. Dodge 2500 four doors with an 8 foot bed.
Your right. Dodge for starters. 2500 next negative and lastly 8' bed. Big is not always better. Owned 1 Dodge truck, 1500. It would go 10 miles out of it's way to find a gas station. Had to turn it off to fill the tank or the tank would never get full. Owned it 1 month and went back to a Chevy.

I'm told it won't fit in a car wash.
My car wash is in my driveway, staffed by Hoodlums # 1, 2 & 3, who fortunately work for room, board and an education.

I do have other trucks that will fit in a car wash. 93 Sonoma standard cab. 52 Chevrolet Five Window. 88 Silverado standard cab 4wd. 40 Ford--disassembled at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_1784.JPG
    IMG_1784.JPG
    324.2 KB · Views: 5
Got myself a older ride today. ‘84 F350. Wife been wanting one of these so picked up old jewel today. Interior as retro as they come. Just getting safety inspection done

Attachments

• 46E510A7-44E8-4590-8E36-22759E31E45A.jpeg
    46E510A7-44E8-4590-8E36-22759E31E45A.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 6
Back