Another Freebie (Simplicity Regent)!

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
Here's some pics of the Regent as it stands now and when the buyer saw it!
DSCN4624.JPG DSCN4625.JPG DSCN4626.JPG
DSCN4627.JPG

A list of needs:
Carb - plastic fuel fitting broke off and all gummed up.
Tires- X 4
Ignition switch
PTO switch

Hopefully that will let me drive it around!

Carb is cheap enough but those tires will cost a bit. Im sure it's gonna make them a good mower once you've gone through it.

Carb is cheap enough but those tires will cost a bit. Im sure it's gonna make them a good mower once you've gone through it.
Carb will be here tomorrow. Monday, after a trip to the bank, I'll order tires. Think I can get them for less than $100. Ignition and PTO switches I found for under $25 together.

Been periods of light rain and drizzle here too. I did manage to get my lawn mowed though!

I did that before the last flood!

New tires, ignition and PTO switches are ordered. I'll get out later and get some gas in the new carb!

Got gas to the carb and it fired right up. No smoke or rattles! Let it run for a while, then saw a fuel line leaking out the side. took the jumper wire off the carb solenoid wiring and it kept running. Finally squeezed the fuel line off and it shut down. Fixed the bad fuel line. Then dove off into the wiring. I hadn't been able to get any continuity to ground so I started there. This has two grounds hooked to the battery, a big one goes to the engine block. The smaller one went into the harness. I got in there and found a crimp (factory) connector inside a poor substitute for heat shrink. The small wire from the battery ground had broken off, so nothing in the wiring had a ground. Reworked that with real heat shrink covering and the starter solenoid now works as it should through the ignition wiring. I bet that is why it got parked! I'm going back out and start taking wheels off. Tires will be here by Thursday, new switches soon after!
Oh yeah, since I have ran it a while, I checked the oil and it still looks new, not dirty at all!

A bit more progress! Got it jacked up and on stands to pull the wheels.
DSCN4631.JPG DSCN4632.JPG DSCN4633.JPG

Fronts were easily removed, one back one needed some help.
DSCN4634.JPG DSCN4635.JPG

I got the tires off the wheels and ready for the new ones. I'll clean the rear shafts real good and apply anti-seize when they go on!

Parts should start arriving today! Spent $180 so far. Shouldn't take much more to have it going.

Well, this turned into a dead duck! The hydro is toast! So I'll gleam all I can and send this to China! Win some, lose some!

Sometimes you can change the oil and get them going. I've also seen inside some that had a sintered bronze filter that was clogged with crud. Gotten a couple going by cleaning insides and changing oil.

Sometimes you can change the oil and get them going. I've also seen inside some that had a sintered bronze filter that was clogged with crud. Gotten a couple going by cleaning insides and changing oil.
I see no way to drain oil and refill, Daniel. This is a Hydro Gear 318-0500. Definitely no filter!

EDIT! I found the oil filter! It's inside. Here's a part list for the mower, pages 10 & 30 show the transaxle.

Attachments

• 1692354 PM.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
It's worth a try cracking it open! My niece's John Deere stopped going. Would only turn wheels if off the ground. Told him to take it apart, clean the filter and new oil. It ran for quite a few more years after that. It finally did it again after they gave it to my bro-in-law, but it went for him for several years before giving it up.

Oh, and if all looks ok except for the filter and oil, do go to either a straight 30wt or 15w40 motor oil. The heavier oil makes a worn hydro operate better.

Hydro Gear recommends 20W50 for the 310-0500 rear end which is what this look like. I'd have to pull the rear end as they drain/fill it through the vent hole and I can't even see the vent right now. I'm going to look for some #'s on it this morning.

Attachments

• Hydro Gear 310-0500.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
Back