Another One Joins The Fold

earthgrinder

Tractorologist
I really was not looking for another rototiller, but this one got my attention. I am pretty sure it is a Model 23 made in Troy, NY by ROTOTILLER, INC. It has a 3hp Clinton engine and may be the first year for the Troy-Bilt Horse style handlebars. Earlier models had a more straight style of handlebar. This one also has hard tires. No worries about air leaks on this one. My thought is that this one was made in 1959 or early 1960 after Porter Cable got controlling interest in Rototiller. I say this because the manual shows a new numbering system for parts and their format for stamping the s/n on the tillers changed. Later in 1960 PC took over Rototiller and changed the model numbers and the colors to green and white.

Attachments

• Model 23 (1).JPG
    Model 23 (1).JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Model 23 (2).JPG
    Model 23 (2).JPG
    306.8 KB · Views: 15
I see. I thought the original Rototiller always had the two cycle engine. My bad.
The original Rototiller was patterned after the SIMAR rototiller from Switzerland, with a 2 cycle engine. However in 1945 Rototiller, Inc. sold the rights to the larger, commercial tiller to Graham-Paige. By the time Graham-Paige was ready to manufacture the tiller, Kaiser-Frazer was involved. The Rototiller plant in Troy, NY continued to make smaller, home sized tillers under the name Roto-ette until 1951 when they took G-P to court and got the name Rototiller back as a trade name. The Rototiller trademark disappeared around 1961 or 62 when Porter Cable sold the Rototiller division. For the story in detail see Joe Frazer and ROTOTILLER

Back