Anybody Use Electric Fence Wire

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
Our second garden 25x48 we started two years ago was basically a loss last year. We just grew corn and potatoes in that one. We fenced it with tee posts and the vinyl mesh fabric to keep the deer and rabbits out. For the coons it was just a ladder to the corn. We also had a storm that bent over two rows and they never recovered.

I’ve been shopping around for some electric wire to put around this. I’m thinking a double wire one mid way and one near the top. Any suggestions on the brand or placement of the wire would help. Thanks
48968D79-48D1-4734-B7EE-ED125C143169.jpeg

Last edited:
Like Tahoe said, use several runs of the wire. To be fully effictive have to keep the grass off the wire. Bottom one about 3" up. I use 24" chicken wire and have good luck keeping all critters out. I also use several CD's on a loop of wire hung from a run of heavier wire along two side of the garden. The slightest movement of the CD will reflect light from the moon, etc. Keep the ground sprayed with MaKaze (vegetation killer) so the fence can be rolled up easily. Can get the spools of light weight fence wire reasonable. If I remember right about a mile of wire per spool.

Roger the cd trick works great. My wife spread about five in the trees around the chicken coop area. We have several hawks out here two particular that are regulars that fly over on a regular basis but no problems since the cd’s were hung. It’s funny I hung a trail cam up a few years ago and we kept seeing rays of light everywhere at night and couldn’t figure that out for awhile. Ended up being the cd’s dangling giving off a nighttime light show. I think you guys are right maybe three strands of wire would work better.

Our second garden 25x48 we started two years ago was basically a loss last year. We just grew corn and potatoes in that one. We fenced it with tee posts and the vinyl mesh fabric to keep the deer and rabbits out. For the coons it was just a ladder to the corn. We also had a storm that bent over two rows and they never recovered.

I’ve been shopping around for some electric wire to put around this. I’m thinking a double wire one mid way and one near the top. Any suggestions on the brand or placement of the wire would help. Thanks
View attachment 52422
Forget hotwire. Coons could careless since they can figure out every angle to still get in there.

This is what you need. ELECTRIC NETTING. Hooked up to a 2-Joule or higher energizer. (not the bunny).

1652482843765.png

This is all we ever use. If you have high-winds, get the double spike so the wind will not blow them down.

We buy the energizer zapper from the Farm-n-Feed store. Zebra is one brand that has been very reliable.
The 12VDC units can also work with AC wall plugs too. Thus battery or a long power ext cord does well out to the garden.

Everything inside has never been touch by critters nor deer since the electrified netting has been in place.

Back