Anybody Use Ospho For Rust Removal

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
I’ve only used two types of rust treatments when rebuilding a few GT’s. The self etching primer that looks green was the best. I have an MF12H that’s been primed and boxed up for around 22 years with no rust popping up anywhere. The other was Rustoleums rust reformer. I’m not happy with that. I noticed it dried very fast indicating not much time activating against rust. A few months later I noticed rust coming back. It basically just encapsulates the rust.

I watched a YouTube video a few days ago where a guy used this Ospho with very good results. I ordered a quart bottle from Amazon at $21. where Ace Hardware listed it for $17. but not in stock. I’ll do a follow up on it once I use it.
IMG_1584.jpeg

Here is the video it’s worth watching how he compares several different products.

Last edited:
Heard good things about Ospho. I've used corroseal in the past, it's done pretty we'll.
I also have used concrete and metal prep/etch that I got at either Menards or Home Dropout. It works like corroseal, spray on let dry them paint over. I do wipe off the white reisdue though.

One of the best things I've ever used has been Rustoleum heavy rusted metal primer. I painted a small trailer back in 1994 with the primer and a brush. It lasted 20 plus years with no top coat before any rust showed through. Getting pretty rusty now but I just use it as a water tank trailer for the animals.

Back