Anyone have opinions on Wisconsin 4cyl motor?

_floater_

Tractorologist
A guy has some old military generators for sale locally for $400 each. He says the motors are 4 cylinder Wisconsin. Does anyone know anything about these?

Attachments

• 001.PNG
    001.PNG
    517.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 002.PNG
    002.PNG
    441.7 KB · Views: 19
We had one in a huge steam genie mounted in the back of an old bread truck at the mine years ago. It was finicky as all get out with cold starts. Once it was going it would run all day and not complain.

Those aren't standard Wisconsin engines.
Seems like olcowhand had one of these motors.
Yes, mine was a "Teledyne" engine, but identical as the Wisconsin made, as all built to spec for the military. I have a 2 cylinder, and a 4 cylinder. Both were pretty finicky, and I quit messing with them and put them in storage. Parts are still available though. When I could get mine to run right, they sure did sound nice, especially the 4 cylinder.

My folks had one on a field chopper.
When Dad came in for dinner he left it idling, if he shut it off it was difficult to get started again. On the plus side it never broke down or used oil.

My folks had one on a field chopper.
When Dad came in for dinner he left it idling, if he shut it off it was difficult to get started again. On the plus side it never broke down or used oil.
Dad had a V4 Wisconsin on his New Holland 276 hay baler for many years. It was hand crank via a smooth wheel you just grabbed and spun off the flywheel end. several years later he added electric start. It usually fired right off, but when he custom baled, if the next farmer's field was close by, he'd just lower it to idle speed till he got to the next field. The multiple belts that ran the baler had a idler pulley so he could disengage the baler. He sold that engine likely about 40 years ago for just $50 and it was in perfect running order. When we traded up from a Massey 50 to a Massey 175, the newer tractor had plenty power to run the baler off PTO, so the engine was removed. I didn't have an extra $50 at the time or I'd have paid him for it. I still have the hay baler.

Used those in the Military on 3kw gen sets. Was a bear lifting them on to a pallet on the back of a jeep for transport. I would like to have this one.
Sorry for the large files, At work and no way to edit these.

Attachments

• DSCF1384.JPG
    DSCF1384.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF1385.JPG
    DSCF1385.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF1386.JPG
    DSCF1386.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF1387.JPG
    DSCF1387.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 13
Used those in the Military on 3kw gen sets. Was a bear lifting them on to a pallet on the back of a jeep for transport. I would like to have this one.
Sorry for the large files, At work and no way to edit these.
About the size of what was on our baler, but of course ours was a flat-head. Strong engines for darn sure!

They are de-rated engines, anywhere from 5-15 hp, they can be altered to run higher. They are also used as engines for para planes and ultra lights.

Yes the smaller 4 cylinder is a model 4A032. Lots of mods can be done to them.
A couple of years ago there was a Cub Cadet with one installed it was on a local online auction but it went for more than i could justify

There's a JD collector has one in a 300 series chassis, he also has ones with a Geo engine, a Yamaha outboard motor and I think a snowmobile or motorcycle motor.

Back