Assembling Plastic Parts

Lily'sDad

GMC, They Said
I was rebuilding and assembling a Daisy pellet gun when I ran across a problem I have had numerous times. When two halves of a plastic housing are needed to be screwed together the manufacturer forms a plastic post on the inside which has a hole to accept a screw inserted from the opposite side. You will also find this on things like power drill housings and such. The trouble comes when you remove and replace the necessary screws and the fragile plastic post will crack around the threads.
I'm grasping at straws here, but has anyone been able to repair this?

If it split top to bottom and you can find something like a piece of brass or aluminum tube that fits over the post snugly then glue it in place. If it broke around the base you have my sympathy.

If it has cracked top to bottom and you have both pieces; Glue the two pieces together and hold with a paper clip, the flat type. When dry wrap the entire post with a strong ( nylon works best) thread. Cover the thread with finger nail polish and let it dry a few hours.. Basically the same way the guide eyes are put on a fishing rod. Don't try and get the screw to tight, just snug is enough.

If this don't work put a bolt through it.

Pictures would help those of us who have limited imagination. Don
The parts are black plastic and small enough that I'm afraid they won't show up in a photo.
To the rest of you, good try. The screws are #6 and #4; the posts maybe 1/4", The cracks run cross-wise through the screw hole and break off in tiny pieces. The wood dowels might work if I can epoxy it in place and have it stick.
If there was just one hole damaged, I wouldn't bother. However there are three or four.

Just last summer I ran into this same issue with a plastic cover on my wife's mobility scooter. Just the act of unscrewing caused the screw to shatter the plastic post it was in.

The parts are black plastic and small enough that I'm afraid they won't show up in a photo.
To the rest of you, good try. The screws are #6 and #4; the posts maybe 1/4", The cracks run cross-wise through the screw hole and break off in tiny pieces. The wood dowels might work if I can epoxy it in place and have it stick.
If there was just one hole damaged, I wouldn't bother. However there are three or four.

Just last summer I ran into this same issue with a plastic cover on my wife's mobility scooter. Just the act of unscrewing caused the screw to shatter the plastic post it was in.

Plastic does deteriorate, especially if it is low quality. Like throw away stuff. Put a small bolt through it and go.

I have had very poor luck with Daisy products that last several years. Quit buying them unless they are the old style. Crossman seems to hold up much better for me.

Wish I had an answer for you. I've worked on airguns for years but mostly European guns. My fist BB gun was a Spittin image 1894 Daisy. It was a good gun and shot it a lot. The last Daisy I purchased was Junk. Could hit a barn with it.
When you see them selling on Ebay like this it's hard to justify putting a lot of money into them. I've done a lot of custom Crosman 2200 and 2100 guns with excellent results. Have one here now with a Lothar-Walther .20cal barrel. It's extremely accurate.

Daisy Powerline 880 BB Gun w/Rifled Barrel ~ A Beauty
Pre-Owned
$19.95
Time left2d 3h left (Fri, 6:00 PM)
1 bid

I have tried all the Crossman and Daisy air rifles made in the last couple years and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with any of them. So I spent a bit more and got a Benjamin 22 cal, and the thing is ACCURATE! It has the nitro piston and breakdown cocking/loading. Easy to c ock even with my neck issues. I bought it right after my neck surgery, but took me a few weeks before I could c ock it then.

Last edited:
Wish I had an answer for you. I've worked on airguns for years but mostly European guns. My fist BB gun was a Spittin image 1894 Daisy. It was a good gun and shot it a lot. The last Daisy I purchased was Junk. Could hit a barn with it.
When you see them selling on Ebay like this it's hard to justify putting a lot of money into them. I've done a lot of custom Crosman 2200 and 2100 guns with excellent results. Have one here now with a Lothar-Walther .20cal barrel. It's extremely accurate.

Daisy Powerline 880 BB Gun w/Rifled Barrel ~ A Beauty
Pre-Owned
$19.95
Time left2d 3h left (Fri, 6:00 PM)
1 bid
Had one like that. I quit within a couple months. Sent it in under warranty. They sent a new one. Year later it quit. Sent that one in. Out of warranty and offered to send me a new for for more $$ than I could buy one at WalMart. Thanks Daisy but no thanks. Have an old one hanging out in the garage on a couple nails over the door. Single stroke to **** it. Cocks and shoot every time, don't know about accuracy. Sure makes the cats run from my railroad.

Back