B&S 130202 Not Firing at Plug

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
Have spark to ground, On my 6th plug and no spark at the plug. What am I missing?

Have spark to ground, On my 6th plug and no spark at the plug. What am I missing?
Are you testing the plug with it installed or just laying loose connected to ground? Could be weak coil, improper air gap, weak magnet, etc as it takes more electrical energy to fire plug under compression as I am sure you are aware. One other possibility might be the cylinder head has some resistance between it and the ground point of the coil circuit which could also affect the quality / lack of spark at the plug if it is installed in the head. Could try running a jumper from the ground to the base of the plug to see if spark returns. Just some thoughts and suggestions.

Are you testing the plug with it installed or just laying loose connected to ground? Could be weak coil, improper air gap, weak magnet, etc as it takes more electrical energy to fire plug under compression as I am sure you are aware. One other possibility might be the cylinder head has some resistance between it and the ground point of the coil circuit which could also affect the quality / lack of spark at the plug if it is installed in the head. Could try running a jumper from the ground to the base of the plug to see if spark returns. Just some thoughts and suggestions.
Plug is installed. Spark tester grounded to head has strong spark. Guess I'll have to open up the flywheel!

Flywheel key alright? Not much more than a "scratch" in it, will be enough to put it out of time, and make a Briggs engine "not" start.
Isn't the coil mounted outside the flywheel?
Is this a points engine?
I hear often on here and forums like it, that a "rusty" coil armature can cause a weak spark, I've cleaned up a few with emery cloth over the years, but most of my experience with that is that magnetism doesn't care about a little bit of rust.
The only real way I can see that being a factor is if the armature the coil is mounted to being rusty and losing ground contact thru the posts it is mounted with.
I have recently cleaned up a couple especially grungey ones "just because I was in there", in my glass bead cabinet/ which makes it so much easier to do and more complete cleaning too.

I would check your coil, air gap, and magnet area too like Stew mentioned. I had similar problems it ended up being a rusty and corroded magnet on the flywheel. The coil pickup areas were the same way. I cleaned all that and it fired right up. Like DT mentioned these things will fire through all kinds of crap most of the time but again sometimes they won’t. Keep us posted Kenny.

Got back into these engines today (have 2). First one got a new condenser and flywheel key. Fired right up and ran fine. Second one needed more, condenser was rusty/nasty. Think the carb is not working right, damn pulsa-jet!
DSCN0330.JPG DSCN0331.JPG DSCN0332.JPG DSCN0333.JPG
I ran that carb through the ultrasonic, guess it's shot. Not going to buy another new one this time of year.

I am thinking about parting out a 5 HP B/S snow blower I bought for 40 bucks about 3 years ago, Kenny. Runs great. It is a single speed and is just too fast to walk behind, or in deeper snow. Of course if throttled down to go slower, the snow doesn't blow far enough either. I need the tank and governor linkage from the engine to try to complete a NOS 5 horse I have. I plan on buying a new carb for it with the butterfly choke instead of the slider. If you want the slider choke carb I will send it your way. Just might take me a while to get it apart and find the carb I want.

DAC

I am thinking about parting out a 5 HP B/S snow blower I bought for 40 bucks about 3 years ago, Kenny. Runs great. It is a single speed and is just too fast to walk behind, or in deeper snow. Of course if throttled down to go slower, the snow doesn't blow far enough either. I need the tank and governor linkage from the engine to try to complete a NOS 5 horse I have. I plan on buying a new carb for it with the butterfly choke instead of the slider. If you want the slider choke carb I will send it your way. Just might take me a while to get it apart and find the carb I want.

DAC
That might just fix this one. Let me know when it's headed this way.

Back