B&S 5 HP Horizontal issue

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
I saw this and had to share with you all. This is a B&S 130202 points engine. I was going through the carb and checking the points when I looked up under where the head meets the block and saw blue RTV. WTF? That heads gotta come off! Had to use my long 3/8" ratchet to get the bolts broke loose. Then pry the head off. Here's what I found.
DSCN4349.JPG DSCN4350.JPG DSCN4351.JPG

And yes, that is a bead of that RTV between the cylinder and valves! Nasty mess! The head will get the sandpaper on glass treatment.

It has new points in it, but they stuck the wires through far enough they were almost touching the other arm of the points. I niped them off. Can't see where they might have been inside it. The diaphram for the carb is bad, got a new one coming. Plus the bolt that holds the governor arm to the shaft was missing the nut. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Broken wire or bad condenser a possibility? Few years back my 10 hp ate points like every hour they would be gone. After the third set and second condenser, it quit and has been running good ever since. Condenser failure. Good luck.

I'm wondering if a pointless magneto would work here? I know they offer an 'electronic' unit. I have several 3.5 HP mower (vertical) engines sitting about, wonder if one of those would work?

I believe the magnetron version will work fine. It did for me on a 5hp briggs on a water pump. I just clipped off the points wires, bolted and spaced the magnetron , and it fired first pull.

I have used the Atom brand units on several engine with good results. The 205 (Brown) or the 209 (Green) are the recomended Atom units. Usually around $20. But need a good mag to trigger them.

Back