Badlands 5000# winch repairs

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
I have this winch mounted inside a box on my tandem trailer. I was using it the other day to drag a dead mower on and it acted up. Seems like the brake is not releasing when winching. I can free-spool just fine. But the motor is struggling and the spool is not turning. So, if weather cooperates, I plan to take it off and bring to the shop so I can see what the issue is. I'll take some pics as I get into it. Watched a video of a Warn winch being taken apart, seems rather simple.

Attachments

• Image062.jpg
    Image062.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 17
Hopefully it will be something simple. Those are so cheap anyways its usually cheaper to replace the whole thing. Maybe gummed up.
You guessed right. The brake was gummed up. Wiped things down good and applied a small amount of wheel bearing grease and it works again. I had to take the cable off to get it back together so I chopped 10' off to make it easier to wind it all in (had 50' on it, don't need that much).
DSCN4571.JPG

Here's the brake mechanism:
DSCN4573.JPG

Motor end:
DSCN4574.JPG

All back together (less cable):
DSCN4575.JPG

Runs just fine! Hard part now is winding 40' of cable back on it!

Attachments

• DSCN4572.JPG
    DSCN4572.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 8
Glad yours was a simple fix. I had to trash two of my older 2000 # ones this winter, the magnets of both came off the housing in the motors. I tried to glue them back on but the motor would never run.

Kenny, just a suggestion. If you could fabricate a piece of 1/2" pipe with flat bar arms on each end so it will fit between the drum flanges and hinged on one of the long bolts that hold the 2 halves together. Then attach an arm on each one with a really strong expansion spring on each arm attached to the opposite long bolt. If you pursue this I suggest figuring the spring mounting so the they're good and snug against one full wrap of cable on the drum so as the drum fills the springs will press harder against the cable. This would act as a roller like a lot of cranes have on the drums to prevent snarls if weight is lost on the cable. I doubt you'd ever wear through the pipe. just throwing this out there.
Mike

Kenny, just a suggestion. If you could fabricate a piece of 1/2" pipe with flat bar arms on each end so it will fit between the drum flanges and hinged on one of the long bolts that hold the 2 halves together. Then attach an arm on each one with a really strong expansion spring on each arm attached to the opposite long bolt. If you pursue this I suggest figuring the spring mounting so the they're good and snug against one full wrap of cable on the drum so as the drum fills the springs will press harder against the cable. This would act as a roller like a lot of cranes have on the drums to prevent snarls if weight is lost on the cable. I doubt you'd ever wear through the pipe. just throwing this out there.
Mike
Sounds like a good idea! Be nice to see a pic of something to work from, though!

No pics and a second grader could make a better drawing than I can. Just seeing the cable starting to snarl in the pic and me being a former crane operator made me think of the rollers used on crane drums. Now the thought has me thinking of trying to build something like it for the 2k# winch on my wheeler. It's always getting snarls in it.
Mike

I think if you mount the "roller", for lack of a better term, on top with the cable spooling like it is it will still make it wrap evenly especially with a straight pull which I'm sure you normally have. You may have to help it make the first turn of a wrap. After that it should spool on like it should 'til it's time to start a new wrap. The main point of this is to prevent snarling when you're freewheeling cable out just like I mentioned with crane cable. Like I said this is just a suggestion and like free advice worth exactly what you paid for it.
Mike

Thanks, Mike! It's a great idea and there may be a way to make that work on the little spool. just need to study it some when the rain is done. A quick Google search found some ideas!

Last edited:
Here's the winch dimensions.
ScreenShot240.jpg

I would have to make a stand-alone tensioner as the cross rods are less than a 1/2" dia. I have some trampoline springs that could provide the tension. Fun part is drilling through the 3/8" plate the winch mounts on in the box for this. I'm going to noodle it!

With holes drilled in the arms to fit the cross rod for the arms to hinge on and using the rod just ahead of it to anchor the springs on, I don't see how it will stress the rods too much. I'll state again my referral to free advice, LOL!!
Mike

With holes drilled in the arms to fit the cross rod for the arms to hinge on and using the rod just ahead of it to anchor the springs on, I don't see how it will stress the rods too much. I'll state again my referral to free advice, LOL!!
Mike
Probably not! I may be over engineering it!

I'm sorry I can't draw a pic, kenny. I've been this way all my life. I can plainly see in my mind something I want to build, the dimensions, angles, etc. all come as I start to build it, sometimes with trial and error.
Mike

Switch to a synthetic cable while you have it off. You will thank me.
HF has a good deal on that synthetic rope cable Kenny, looks like it's heavy enough for your winch.

View attachment 12681
I found this on Amazon. Be cheaper than driving to HF in Tulsa!

EDIT: It'll be here tomorrow! I may go down today and take the winch back out of the box to see what I can do for a tensioner. Got good ideas, just need it up here to make things!

Last edited:
Back