Ballast?

bobcat2

Tractorologist
Hello all,

What is your preferred ballast? I'd love to use rimguard, but location and price hold me back, lol. I was thinking of using RV antifreeze, good to -50 F, and around $3 per gallon at Walmart...

Pros/cons?

Here is my setup and what I'm doing with it, I have a SS 12 with a plow, 30 lb wheel weights, and v-bar chains. Figured if I add three gallons to each rear tire, that'll bring me pretty close to 50 lbs per side(with wheel weights). This tractor doesn't have a deck(yet), and I plan on plowing my steep 75 yard driveway with it and using it as a general work horse around the house.

Perhaps I should fully load the tires?

If it were me, I dismount the tires and give the wheels a new coat of paint then fill them with the fluid. Won't have to worry about them rusting that way!

For myself, I would plan to fill them completely while doing it. That way the process wouldn't be done twice. I doubt you will be disappointed in the end result.

I've been running windshield washer fluid in my suburban wheels since 2011, not has any issues I have close to 6 gals in each wheel along with 55# weights on each side .

I have one pair that is full of washer fluid I use for garden plowing. Lay the wheel on its side and break the bead loose in one small area, just enough you can hold it open with a small tire iron and pour fluid till it won't hold any more. Helps to have the pour side upon a 2x4 to let the air out while the fluid goes in.Not much room for air that way and much faster than trying to feed it through the valve steam.

I've had antifreeze and water in a set of rims probably 40+ years and still going strong. Did have to put new tires on about 25 yrs in though but the rims were perfect..

I still use the often scorned at calcium. When I filled my termites 9.5-16 tires I got 150 pounds per tire. As a little kid I would go to work often with my Dad who owned a tire business, we filled lots of tires with calcium and I think the only reason I don’t use something else is calcium is what I am used to, never gave the other stuff much thought.

I have a 2008 Cat 420E at work, we started with calcium, but everytime I added air to the tire I'd have to replace the valve stem guts. When we had new tires put on it, we changed over to beet juice, I haven't had any issues with it yet other than it stinks if you get it on you.

Last edited:
I usually use one part methanol to 4 parts water, but for each rear tire I also add a quart or more of antifreeze just for the anti-corrosion chemicals that are in it. Last time I bought it, the Methanol was $5, so that makes the mix just $1 per gallon, not counting the added antifreeze.

Back