Battery revival

Shorty

Rusty Nut
I have an old battery that started refusing to take a charge this winter. Going to try the epsom salt method to see if I can revive it. I have read that it does not always work, or it might only give low draw not enough to start a cold engine. I figure the only thing I have to lose is the time. But if it works, I have several old batteries that need attention.

The trial battery is around five and a half years old. The one that was swapped in to take its place is more like 6 years old. Which came with junior's rider and most likely uncharged for most of its life.

Ok, it was completely shot. 20+ hours of trickle charge did nothing, too weak to spin the M18 Kohler. Fluids were full so a little bit was removed to make room. Then with super careful measurement- uh, more like that is approximately a heaping teaspoon in each cell. Then with the cells closed again, I flipped it back n forth a few times to mix it in. Then on the charger.
Gtractor over at the old place, wrote that he uses 2 spoonsful on a car battery and 1 in gt sized battery. Apparently he has been doing this for a while with good results.

I read your writeup also Brian. I thought I might try that on the next one. Did you replace all the fluid or just some of it?

I did a write up about this several years ago at the old place and I always warm the distilled water up before adding the salt to it and then put that solution in the battery. I've had great luck with dead batteries doing this.
I am only using mobile right now since the pc died. Or I would cut and paste that article into this thread. And Kris' experience with it also. It would give excellent background on it.

Today was the day to test load it with the Kohler starter. Showed 13 volts on cheapo analog meter. And spun that baby right over. Success for now, the true test will be if it can hold the charge a few weeks.

Battery is still holding its own! I did have to jump it though last week to plow snow. It is kind of undersized for the engine I am asking it to spin. And when it is cold it really struggled. I have an old car battery I am thinking of treating to see if it comes back. Then shoehorn it in place.

I tried a car battery like this a while back, it was only 3 yrs old and wouldn't always hold a charge. It will never take a full charge though now, not sure what wrong with it. Works fine for running my small 12V transfer pump, but won't turn over a vehicle.

Tried to fit the bigger car battery on, but no luck. Just to big... I did the same thing to another 6 year old battery for Jr's rider. It definitely is making a difference so far.

So last week the first battery I played with decided not to take a charge again. To go from junk to getting another 9 month of use out of it with a few minutes of tinkering wasn't too bad. I gave it a heavier dose and trickle charged it. Just for curiosity sake to see if any more life can be found.

An old battery probably didn't fail from a build up of sulfates. I guess I'd give it less than a 25% chance of working or at least helping some.

But I've been wrong many, many times in my life.

I don't have high hopes of it working again. But why not try it again just for kicks.

Back