Been working the tools I brought home, food plots.

alleyyooper

Tractorologist
July 2020 I start walking thru the planted areas of last year. Decide I will run the brush hog over the over growing areas and see what I have left.

Two areas of last year is really thick with clover. I decided to just go with the clover growing there so thick and lush.

The other areas other than the logging roads I ran the tiller thru plus a new area on the south side of the pond, very dry when I brush hogged it. During the tilling was very wet and stopped me from doing the whole brush hogged area.

With afternoon rain in the forcast yesterday afternoon I spread the seed with the idea the rain would make better ground contact.
No rain so today will use the old tractor tire to cover the seeds.

Al

Don't overlook the logging roads as food plots. We used to disc ours and plant them along with the food plots. Worked great. Deer love feeding around the edges and the logging roads gave them long edges to feed from. Made for great still and stand hunting.

I planted on the logging roads last fall but thr falling leaves smothered it I thought.
What seed did you use.

Al

I thought winter rye would work very well and if I planted it soon it would be up enough the falling leaves would not smother it.

Al

Rye does really well. It helps improve the soil, too. It doesn't take a lot of soil prep either. We ran the disc up and down the roads. We didn't have a cultipacker, so we set the disc shallow to cover the seed.

A lot of farmer plant winter Rye after the corn is out. Cover crop that works very well. Last year they were paid $25/ A. to plant it. Check with your local Soil Conservation Service and see if you might qualify. They may not help with the road but good chance around the pond area, etc.

Back