Before, during and after the winter at the beauty shop.

alleyyooper

Tractorologist
Our 1985 Lesabre was chased out of the nice warm and shady garage in 2011. Dad would have been raiseing holy hell if he was alive aftewr a month of it being out side.
But dad had passed in 2009 and could do noting about the miss treatment of his baby.

the hood like all the up side surfaces paint was cracked and pitted badly. there was also a big pine pitch stain in the passangers side corner of the hood windshield piller and a small amount on the roof.
No amount of rubbing compound was fixing that mess.

h6CtK8O.jpg

HFCwzJ7.jpg

The pin strip was typical tape that GM used back in those times. there was also surfacew rust on the right rear quarter.

TuH9E4B.jpg

dNML9VN.jpg

3xftnWK.jpg

On the upper roof and quarter break line there was also flakeing paint scares.

132Ep7S.jpg

a bit of other paint damage starting to rust.

Zap2RE6.jpg

Rear quarter badgeing was pretty bad also one not as bad as the other.

OF9w2XH.jpg

6sZIyka.jpg

this was pretty common cracking and pitting og roof trunk and hood.

k1jpXsQ.jpg

some one had Keyed it on the left quarter several years before dad had passed and Dad's touch up was old and coming off.

mrr8pUs.jpg

The whole summer of 2017 was spent looking at cars, first question was who painted your car? Got plenty of answers from brother who now has MS and can't do it any longer. Jimmy Joe who had a stroke and can't move his right arm any more and others.

One fellow gave us a quote and said he was busy at the time took our phone number and said he woll call some time in August. It is now August 2018 and we still have not gotten a call.

Finally I met the owner of this car. He told me it had been painted 28 years ago and had a life time warrenty againest cracking, pitting & peeling.

9E72MDc.jpg

:D Al

He told me that it had been done by Dave collision of Unionville Michigan and said that Dave had his own car at that show over along the tree line and he had also painted the 57 Chevy wagon.

18 year old paint job on the rug rat hauler.

Daves Goat, he was off looking at cars so I didn't get a chance to talk to him that day.

This was a mid August show, so we continued to talk to people till the last show in our area middle of September.
Failing to find some one who diden't say they would do the car but would have it a year because they did paint and body work for dealers and one who said he was booked for two years and one who just didn't want to do the job as we wanted all chrome removed and taken down to bare metal then sealed.

I could have did the work I felt but Kare said it wasn't a Massey Harris tractor. so I called and made an appointment to get a quote on a paint job.

Happened last week of Sept. and he drove his wives 1965 Pontiac LeMans rag top for us to see that he had painted 26 years ago. We had seen some newer work the had did along the way also.

We were told going to take it to bare metal with out my telling him and he explained why. New door rubbers because those were already cracking and would not be able to be removed intact. All chrome except 1/4 window stuff removed. All door jams would be cleaned up and repained as well as the hood and trunk, trunk inside and out under side of hood flat black.
!/4 badges redid not replaced.

So Kare and I drove home and discussed his quote and what we had seen at cars hows he had did and what we had seen in his shop. We decided that Daves shop would do our car for us. He has said about 2 to 3 months from start to finish.

He said November he would start on it if we got it there by then. I delivered it mid October. Went up in January to get the power antena I had to rebuild and the fender had to be removed to get it out.

Saw Dave's work truck and snowmobile hauler at that time.

F9J2GG8.jpg

Last edited:
If I am dissappoint with any thing of thr process it is the lack of pictures in the stages.
But I took some in January when I got the antena to rebuild.

First sandable prime coat left side.

pFULReT.jpg

Seal coat primer on right front door and sandable priner on rear quarter.

TT68kPm.jpg

Fender off and antenna removed for repair.

aMHA9vv.jpg

Deck lid on buck being block sanded.

fytRGgO.jpg

71 Chevell he had in the buffing building he was finished with.

I2p6JiW.jpg

At that time I asked Dave if he could keep the LeSabre for a few weeks when he said it would be finished first week of March.
He said he could do that, third week of March he called and said that the door guard moldings were on back order.
Then called and said the molding was in and he had one of his guys installing them then so it was agreed we would Pick it up April 1st.

Drove it Kare's Moms house and took pictures. we live on a gravel road and it was muddy.

mgD9TGG.jpg

Painted stripe.

gprCMyj.jpg

Right rear view of car.

LpzgvsZ.jpg

Left rear view of car.

3LrYIuv.jpg

Redone 1/4 badgeing.

glrvoyy.jpg

A shiney see your face in it hood.

XFC6Iww.jpg

Yes we love the paint job and hand Dave's bussiness cards to any one who askes who painted your car.

Our first show of the season was in Midland Michigan April 21st. Very rewarding show for us.

Clinton township show sunday before Memorial Day. I didn't have a car in my camera so had to do the pictures at home. OH it is 4 foot tall too.

rEH8GsA.jpg

PaFNlv5.jpg

Farthest traveled to the Climax Mi show Memorial Day.

EZMN9Ab.jpg

Top ten at Waterford Mi elks club show.
Belford Buick is no more, was where the cars was ordered new, December 18th 1984 for moms birthday December 20th. It was delivered Feb. 3d 1985.

gtGw0t4.jpg

vV97KYO.jpg

It's cool you care enough about your folks car to keep it and restore it back to it's former glory! Most will just sell all the folks stuff off and pocket what cash they can get out of it. I dig that big ride a lot!

I am trying to get my Mom's 1970 GMC Jimmy back on the road. She bought it in 1971 and drove it daily for 30 years. It never saw the inside of a garage until 2002 unfortunately.

Keep your show pictures coming, especially ones with your Buick in it!

DAC

Hey Yooper nice looking LaSabre! Those old Buick's really ride nice. The fact that it survived up there this long in all that salt says a lot about it having been well cared for. :)

Kare's moms birthday was December 20th, I do not know how long they went over the Buick sales book before they decided to order the LeSabre. But December 18th that sat down with the salesman Al Miller at Belford Buick Davison Michigan and ordered the car.

It was delivered Feb. 2nd 1985 after it had been sent out to Rusty Jones a well knowen and respected rust proofing shop in the Flint Mi area. I first saw it on the 3d when my future wife had me go to her folks Sunday afternoon. Fell in love with the car then, tell people I married her in hopes opf getting the car some day.

Mom was funny about cars, once it got 50,000 she would not drive them or even ride in them. Dad had retired by the time the LeSabre got 50,000 on it. Told Mom to just drive his 1998 Park Avenue to work or he would drive her in and pick her up. The LaSaber became the car he drove on errands, he would put 10 miles on it to drive 2 miles to the grocery to get some thing for mom.

Saturday 8-4-18 Good times in Goodrich Mi car show.

Up coming show is St. Johns Mi Saturday at the mint Fest show.

Woodward dream cruise next week..Going for the week. Staying with my son who lives in Royal Oaks.

Have you ever been there???

Nope never did the Wood Ward dream cruise. Watched that mess on TV 7 ABC Detroit and listen to guys at cars shows saying lots of cars over heat setting and moving a couple inches an hour.

We are doing some of the week night Back to the Bricks tune up cruises this week.
Tune Up Parties

Did Davison Monday evening and it rained. Did Clio this evening. Going to skip Linden since the road we would take is under construction and takes for ever to get there. Will do Fenton Thursday evening and Skip Friday.

Going to St Johns Mi. Mint Fest car show Saturday.
Spray the car off rince cycle at a quarter wash. Then spray down with Lucas slick mist and wipe it down and the car just shines.

Since the Buick has the thin white walls I spray slick mist for tires on a sponge and wipe the tires down and they shine. I do the tires at the show.

f488ecdb-6cea-4c46-b433-ce575f0eb5f4_1.5aae43993e065be8daf30a28c43a017d.jpeg

61lTIM-FqfL._SY879_.jpg

71LH8edhGyL._SX522_.jpg

this takes care of the windows at the show also.

The whole process takes about 30 minutes total.

So Saturday the 18th we will be in Flint Mi for Back to the Bricks, we will be with the Buick club of Michigan people by factory #1 home of the first Buicks built.

If there was a area for other hobbies I would post pictures I take at car shows.

Yes I get in the woods still. Have went shooting sporting clays every Sunday or Saturday for about 3 months now depending on the day of the car show we decide to go to.
I am also working on a new drive way on the new chunk of land we just bought.

Back