Beware of Husqvarna Garden Tractors!

GT48DXLS

Tractorologist
I have a GT48DXLS, with 63 hrs on it, purchased 11 months ago for the specific purpose I'm using it for. I had been very happy with my GT. I now deeply regret this purchase.​
On 17 JULY 2017 I purchased my GT from our local Dealer. Our Dealer claimed it was an actual "Garden Tractor" capable of all the accessories ("Ground Engagement Work") that were represented by Husqvarna in their ads. These officially include things like a front scoop (bucket), snow blower attachment, etc. This tractor came with a ground engagement transaxle (Tuff Torq K66), 23" rear wheels, upgraded engine (Kawasaki FR730V), and allegedly a “heavy duty” chassis.​
On 07 JUNE 2018, less than a year after purchase, while moving sand in my yard, and using it well within the design parameters, the frame BUCKLED in the area between the scoop support bracket and the steering support plate. I had used it multiple times before, in the exact same way, with no problems at all.​
Since I was using it within it’s advertised design specs, AND still had 4 years and 1 month left on the “5 year FRAME warranty” that came with the tractor, I presumed they would stand by their product, and HONOR their warranty. Silly me.​
According to the service writer at our local Husqvarna Dealer (who was very hostile to my wife) Husqvarna will “NEVER pay to replace that frame”. “Never” was the word they spat at my wife. The Dealer justified it, by saying that any and ALL “frame” defects in it would have been evident on the VERY FIRST day we bought it, otherwise it is not a “frame defect” and will NOT be covered under warranty. WHAT?? (So then, WHAT would the point of a “5 year FRAME warranty” be?)​
So, according to the HUSQVARNA dealer here, the 5 year chassis/frame warranty has been reduced to a ONE DAY warranty. To add insult to injury, my wife was told that they would fix it for $518, and included in that was a special “freight charge” for the FRAME, from Husqvarna, of $95. Upon checking on the ordering of the frame myself, I found out that this expensive “freight charge” was a lie, no surprise at this point. I picked up the tractor the very next business day from that Dealer. I will no longer use that Dealer, and will go out of my way to not recommend this dealer, and/or the Husqvarna products, any chance I can, NOW THAT I KNOW THAT THEIR “WARRANTY”, AND THEIR ADVERTISING, ARE MOSTLY LIES.​
I have since learned, that current manufacturers of ACTUAL Garden Tractors that claim their product capable of ground engagement work have at minimum, a channel steel or “c” channel steel frame.​
My frustration with this product is mainly that their STATED warranty (at least for the frame) is worthless, and their published advertisements for this tractor’s capabilities for accessories are FALSE. It didn’t help that their licensed Dealer knew less than a box store employee about his Husqvarna product, OR, that he did know, but he had no difficulty directly deceiving me.​
If you plan on using it to cut grass, odds are you’ll probably be OK. I’m thankful at least that Husqvarna did NOT build the transaxle or the engine.​
I’ve also since found out that the style of frame on this Husqvarna “Garden Tractor” is actually identical to my older Ariens basic riding mower (HD $900.00 special, 2011) that I originally bought to mow grass a few years ago. I pulled that out of storage and am relying on it again to at least keep my grass cut and to pull my small yard trailer. It’s nothing to look at, but it runs as was represented in advertising, no false claims, so no regrets with that one.​
If my Husqvarna GT had not been falsely represented to me, as a True Garden Tractor fully capable of residential level “ground engagement” work, I would have moved right on past it, and paid more money to buy what I needed, since I was already aware of just what I needed it for. I fell for the deception, but hopefully I can share enough to help steer someone else away so they won’t make the same expensive mistake.​

Attachments

• IMG_0602.JPG
    IMG_0602.JPG
    801 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0603.JPG
    IMG_0603.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0616.JPG
    964.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0622.JPG
    IMG_0622.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 126
Tell your story as many times as you can, in as many different places as you can. Looks to me like you say they LIE and build crap.

I would bypass the dealer i go right to headquarters an tell them how you were treated at the dealer as well as include pictures of your paper work an of the frame damage
I think this is the proper course of action also. The manufacturer should be notified via registered mail as to the problems that you have encountered. Also keep good records of everything you have done. If nothing develops you might want to present it as a possible safety issue.

Send a complaint to your state's attorney general and the better business bureau. Complain that the advertised warranty is fraud. The AG can help if he or she is so inclined. The BBB is usually not much help but it should be registered as a complaint against Husqvarna. It may be easiest for you to take them to small claims court, it depends on your states' laws. Keep good records and copies of everything including pics. Good Luck, Rick

Not sure if this is the same tractor off tractordata. But it says 609 lbs. that could be including the deck, but not sure. Any way, fairly light for a garden tractor.

Attachments

• 879A7D0F-D970-4862-88D9-15C306B3A752.png
    879A7D0F-D970-4862-88D9-15C306B3A752.png
    342 KB · Views: 15
I think this dealer is taking you for a ride. I also believe the person who spoke to your wife rudely should be fired asap.

Anyways, have you contacted Husqvarna directly?

I agree with this. If you have not contacted Husqvarna already then at the very least I would check with a different dealer to see if this is what Husqvarna REALLY thinks about the frame warranty on their tractors. If indeed it is the case then they need called out on it for sure. Either way the dealer you dealt with needs to be reported to Husqvarna.

Personally I wouldn't mount a front scoop on a new tractor unless it was a Simplicity Legacy XL or an X700 series John Deere.

Back