Bolens 1886-04 Starter Replacement

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
I saw no other way to get the starter removed other than pulling the engine. Had to take the dash off to do that. Hooked up the hoist.
DSCN0076.JPG

Had to get creative with the driveshaft removal.
DSCN0077.JPG

It's out.
DSCN0078.JPG

Thought the rear seal was leaking but I think the oil came from here instead. If you look at the pic of pulling the driveshaft, you can see this hose rubbing against the block.
DSCN0079.JPG

Made quite a mess, must have been leaking for a while.
DSCN0080.JPG

Here's the back of the engine, you can see where the oil 'washed' the pan.
DSCN0082.JPG

Flywheel screen has an issue.
DSCN0083.JPG

Got the frame cleaned up some.
DSCN0086.JPG

Pulled the flywheel to get to the starter bolts and found why it wasn't charging.
DSCN0085.JPG DSCN0084.JPG

Yep, the stator machine screws are MIA. Chewed up the gear cover pretty good. Found the used cover with 15-20 amp stator already. Starter should be here today.

Since this is turning into a marathon and the owner wants a fan in front of the hydro, the driveshaft had to come off there. It was stuck pretty good so I had to come up with a puller that would work.
DSCN0087.JPG

Had some parts from steering wheel pullers so I made some plates to pull the shaft yet protect the hydro.
DSCN0088.JPG

Got it set up.
DSCN0089.JPG

A few minutes later, it was off. Job complete.
DSCN0090.JPG

Last edited:
Plan on using an appliance fan for a replacement? I seem to remember a specific one being a good substitute for the Bolens LF.

Plan on using an appliance fan for a replacement? I seem to remember a specific one being a good substitute for the Bolens LF.
Think so, Scott. He has the drive shaft as both u-joints are bad in it.

Got a few more things fixed today. Exhaust had one missing stud and one broken. Was able to fix that fairly easily. Had to use the Dremel to cut the existing nuts off first.
DSCN0091.JPG

Owner brought the new bearings over for the front PTO shaft. Got that back together (other than the belts).
DSCN0092.JPG

Owner had an AG tire mounted for the right rear the other day. It's flat again. Guess they forgot to tube it!
DSCN0093.JPG

Starting tomorrow, parts should be arriving to get this all back together.

I got a new coil for this 482 but it is not marked for + or - ends. Does it matter on these?
DSCN0095.JPG DSCN0094.JPG

Parts are slowly coming in for this. Waiting on the new front seal so I can get this changed over to the 15 amp system. Then the engine can go back in.

Sorry, no pics right now, but I got the engine back in it yesterday finally. Hands were too greasy for the camera. Now to finish wiring and hooking things up. I'll take some pics this morning.

Got it all back together (other than hood) and the newly rebuilt fuel pump took a dive off the deep end. Have an electric coming tomorrow to replace it.
DSCN0096.JPG DSCN0097.JPG

Issue is finding the right pumps! Saw one earlier for a 'small engine, GPH was 20. Wrong. Finding small PSI/GPM is hard nowdays. Too much crap is linked to that search!

Issue is finding the right pumps! Saw one earlier for a 'small engine, GPH was 20. Wrong. Finding small PSI/GPM is hard nowdays. Too much crap is linked to that search!
I've used this one from NAPA. This is the second one I've installed. Facet Posi-Flo 60104. 1.5-4 Psi
Found it on amazon. Looks like the price has gone up.

Attachments

• 20210917_180706.jpg
    20210917_180706.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210917_180818.jpg
    20210917_180818.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 7
  • pump.JPG
    pump.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The one I got is working great. Tractor is back home. Made a few $ so I'm happy.

Back