Bolens G11 XL

Well I bought it even a little less than listed. The good is everything works well, runs smooth idles up & down well, strong in all gears, almost new rear turfs, new deck belt, deck is in real good shape. The bad is I hate to make it a donor for my H16, monkeyized choke lever is the throttle, choke is manual & bad battery. These issues aren't serious at all. I'm glad I bought it.
20191118_164732.jpg20191118_164740.jpg20191118_164749.jpg

I finally got to get some good seat time a few days ago. I'm still amazed at how smooth running this engine is. The GT performed well beyond my expectations. I had first wanted this for the engine for my H16 but now I'm going to do some minor repairs on it & keep it for what seems to be a dependable grass cutter.

I tackled various elevations & considering it's got turfs & it was wet out it did very well. On a few occasions it slipped a bit pulling up a hill in reverse. Once I got it back to the shop I noticed the drive belt slop was way beyond the factory limits. I went to make some adjustments & noticed the belt had a couple of cracks so I'll wait for this then install a new belt at the same time. It has a very nice turning radius & steers effortlessly. The mower engages smoothly & runs smooth as well. It has new blades & really cuts nice. I know this model was considered an entry level to the typical grass cutter but it feels much more heavily built than my H16. I love the long hood on this as well.

I ordered a throttle lever & installed that yesterday. The PO was using the factory choke lever for the throttle & rigged up a manual choke. I was glad & could keep the same lever on the choke & use it as intended. I hate having to remove those plastic red handles. I had a hard time getting the broken manual choke pull out of the dash plate. They also drilled a larger hole for that. I had to use a washer to install the throttle lever, my OCD kicked in so I added a washer to both mounting bolts to make it look better.
20191201_104817_resized.jpg20191201_105525_resized.jpg20191201_113325_resized.jpg20191201_145422_resized.jpg

I went to start it up to make sure both levers worked well but no go just nothing. I have some wiring issues I didn't like especially since this is a repower. It ran so well I was going to wait & tackle this later. I have a red wire coming out of the ignition switch & then a black wire spliced into it going nowhere just hanging. I'm not sure if it came out of something while I was moving things around but I'll have to get a schematic of this engine & compare it to the GT schematic. I have a pet peeve when it comes to wiring. I have rebuilt three GT's & rewired all of them. I pull everything out & use the same colors & gauges so I guess I'll be doing this one as well.

Congrats on the new lawn barber :)

What's that in your avatar? I think I saw one of those for sale locally and I think the guy said it was an MTD from the 70's. Were they even in business back then?

EDIT: Turns out it's not local to me. It's in Saskatchewan

Attachments

• MTD01.JPG
    MTD01.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 5
  • MTD02.JPG
    MTD02.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 5
  • MTD03.JPG
    MTD03.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Congrats on the new lawn barber :)

What's that in your avatar? I think I saw one of those for sale locally and I think the guy said it was an MTD from the 70's. Were they even in business back then?

EDIT: Turns out it's not local to me. It's in Saskatchewan
Yeah Floater mine is a MTD 990. There hard to come by, there very well built & parts are still out there. Here's a few before & after pics to inspire you.
tt2.jpgtt4.jpgPic8.jpgPic13.jpgPic19.jpg

It's a sweet looking rig but buddy wants $900 for the one I linked. A tad rich and way too far away for me, considering current projects, but I really like the looks of it that's why I recognized yours, it stuck in my mind. Kind of an art-deco grille.
You did a really nice restoration!

Back