Bolens LK Repower

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
This has the Tecumseh V60 engine. The gas tank is full of holes and the carb is corroded badly. No parts around here to fix it so I am going to swap it out for a 6HP B&S. Got around to this yesterday and found with the deck lifted, it was nearly balanced on the front axle. Didn't take much to lift the rear and put blocks under it to take the pulley off and get the engine mount bolts out.
DSCN4793.JPG

I got lucky on the pulley. It is held on the engine with a bolt into the crank plus 2 set screws. That all came loose easily and the pulley slid right off.
DSCN4794.JPG

Took the throttle cable and 4 bolts off and the engine out of there.
DSCN4795.JPG DSCN4796.JPG

Here's the donor engine.
DSCN4797.JPG DSCN4798.JPG

It's on a weedwhacker frame. It was given to me some time back. When I went looking for parts for it, I found there was a recall on these due to injuries. Recall said to destroy the machine, so I will do that once the engine is off. It does have an electric starter, you can see the little battery in the first pic. But is starts real easily with the pull rope.

I need to set the Tecumseh back on the frame and get some measurements for the crank center as I am sure the bolt holes won't be the same for the B&S. Also, the Tecumseh has a 1" crank and the B&S has a 7/8". Already have found the sleeve for that. Throttle is in a different spot also.

With engine off the weed wacker frame, can you use a piece of cardboard to make a template with the mounting holes and the crank hole to lay out the holes on the mower frame?
Mike

Now your making progress. Always take some modification when a engine swap is made. I have two Tech engines in tractors and one out, all 16 hp. all good running engines. Had one small lawn tractor with a vert. shaft tech and got rid of it as soon as I could get it running again.

Bolens must have balanced the EK's out better than the LK's. Have 2 EK's one with a deck and the other with a thrower. Thrower unit has a big weight bolted on the back of the frame. Fun little machines to run but you need real short legs to run that pedal.

With engine off the weed wacker frame, can you use a piece of cardboard to make a template with the mounting holes and the crank hole to lay out the holes on the mower frame?
Mike
YEP! Just what I did! Didn't get pics as it's spitting rain here. But the holes are drilled ans ready. Found another issue, the B&S has a 3/16" keyway. The pulley and the spacer I'm buying are set for 1/4" keys. Have to have one made special for this! Who has a milling machine in their back pocket?

Now your making progress. Always take some modification when a engine swap is made. I have two Tech engines in tractors and one out, all 16 hp. all good running engines. Had one small lawn tractor with a vert. shaft tech and got rid of it as soon as I could get it running again.

Bolens must have balanced the EK's out better than the LK's. Have 2 EK's one with a deck and the other with a thrower. Thrower unit has a big weight bolted on the back of the frame. Fun little machines to run but you need real short legs to run that pedal.
I raised my seat 2" to help that issue.
DSCN4800.JPG

Steel Step Key Stock For Gears, Zinc Plated, 3/16" Thickness, 1/4" Width, 3/16" Base Width, 12" Length (Pack of 1) Amazon.com: Steel Step Key Stock For Gears, Zinc Plated, 3/16" Thickness, 1/4" Width, 3/16" Base Width, 12" Length (Pack of 1): Industrial & Scientific
That might work, but I only need 1.5". If I'm right, I need 1/8 + 1/16" + 3/32" = 9/32" tall. First 3/16" will be 1/4" wide, then 3/16 wide for the last of it. Remember. I have a spacer in there to go from 1" shaft (pulley) to 7/8" shaft on the Briggs. Should look like this:
ScreenShot275.jpg

Here's a pic of the holes for mounting the Briggs.
DSCN4799.JPG

YEP! Just what I did! Didn't get pics as it's spitting rain here. But the holes are drilled ans ready. Found another issue, the B&S has a 3/16" keyway. The pulley and the spacer I'm buying are set for 1/4" keys. Have to have one made special for this! Who has a milling machine in their back pocket?
I can whip that out for you, as soon as I get back to work. Probably Wednesday, if that works for you.

Want me to do 6"? That's the length of my vise, so it would only take a few more minutes. I'll cut it from some 1/4" keystock that's sitting on my scrap rack.
This is taller than 1/4" by a 1/32" (.250 wide X .2813 tall)!

Back