Bolens power hoe questions

Ky wil

On my power hoe it has a odd looking pulley on the engine. Iv about decided that it's a sliding pulley or speed changer pulley. But how dose it work, mines seams to be locked up or something. I'd like to get it freed up without breaking something.
Thanks Wil

The versa-matic used a variable sheave pulley. Can't remember the Power Ho having it. Can you post a pic of what you have?

It reminds me of a pulley I took off an electric motor that you could loosen a set screw and move the pulley in and out changing were the belt rode

It reminds me of a pulley I took off an electric motor that you could loosen a set screw and move the pulley in and out changing were the belt rode
The older IH tractor generators had a pulley like that. Could tighten or loosen the belt that way. Most of the time they were worked at full throttle so the speed difference wasn't a concern. Think I have one in a bin in the shop.

The pulley is designed to give you different speeds , unscrewing the sheave in/ out allows the belt to ride higher or lower in the sheave which makes the speed different , there should be a locking spring clip that goes on the end to keep the pulley half on , this adjustment can only be done with the engine off

Back