Boy it that tight!!!!!!!

alleyyooper

Tractorologist
Want to remove the set of blades on the Bunton walk behind mower.
I was told you have to put a wrench on the top shaft nut. OK I will try that only to learn it is a righty tighty nut so came loose as I applied toqure to the blade bolt.
I just removed that nut and th espindle slid out.

Carry the spindle into the shop where the vice is, clamp the spindle into the vice and learn it isn't tight enough the spindle spins in the vice.
Go gat a cheater pipe and use that to tighten the vice as hard as I could.
Spindle still spins in the vice. so the blade bolt isn't comeing out.

How do I remove the blade bolt?
Heat it super red hot and buy a new bolt afet I get it out?
Cut the head off save the blade and pitch the spindle and get a new spindle?

Just sharpen the blade on the spindle and reinstall it, is a idea. but what if they are all like that?
I got 3 extra new blades with the mower.

Al

I stick a 2X4 block to wedge the blade under the deck and loosen from there.

The blade bolt might be left hand thread. Did you try turning it the other way? The Woods 3 point finish mowers are set up like that

Wrap an old leather glove around the spindle in the vise. Much more gripping power and no damage to the spindle.

Well nothing is working I have tried. I have the impact gun/driver but no compresser any longer except the one to fill tires with.

Wrapped it in a old leather glove and that still didn't stop the slipping.

I clamped the blade in the vice and the spindle still spins when I apply pressure to the bolt.

Called the previous owner and asked if it was a left handed bolt.
Said it was a regular hardware bolt and the blades had not been changed since he had died.

Yes just before his 60th birthday he had a heart attack and was air lifted to the Uof M hospital and died in flight but was brought back.

I was hired at that time to take care of the lawn, so as he said the blades have not been off in 10 years.

Going to try heat today and if that doesn't work sharpen the blade and reinsert the spindle and call it good till I can decide to go get a big HF compresser.

Al

If you clamp the blade in the vice and the spindle turns it would seem the blade isn't tight to the spindle? Does it skip when cutting?

No it was cutting fine when the blade was sharpe.

any way I got the bright idea to wrap it un a sander belt sand side in. Clamped it in the vice and tightened it. felt some thing give and the vice has broke.

Is so old I can't even remember what I paid for it or where I got it.
But being cast I would bet was made in china.

Al

Bunton comercial walk behind mower given to me as a no start last summer.
Deck is 48 inches and the engine is a kohler 14 hp manual start.

I had worked on it several times over the years but when the PO had a heart attack and died but brought back. I was hired to do all the lawn mowing for them.
But a year ago the PO decided to start it to mow the walking paths on the property where he could not get the compact tractor and brush hog down.

It would not start for him so he told me to come and get it if I wanted it. He bought a used electric start rideing tractor for his use.

I did all the test to make sure all the saftey switches were working and since it was not getting spark ordered a coil. Got it started and decided i would keep it to mow my paths and along ghe south fence line.

Decided Friday was time to remove the blades and put the spare set on then sharpen them as I find time.
the owners manual leaves a huge part of the process out on doing the job. attach a socket to the nut on the top of the spindle, use a second socket to the bottom bolt head.
When you do it that way a long shaft it appears slides out of the splidle with the blade on one end.
That is where the owneers manual ends instructions.

It looks as if there is a bolt that holds a big washer againest the blade and a raised part above the blade.
Spent some time trying to get that bolt out, even called the previous owner to get an Idea how he did it.
He was unable to remember much about how it was done.

I worked on it a bit Saturday till I broke my vice, wrapped the shaft in a old leather glove and it still was slipping in the vice. Wrapped it in a belt sander belt wrong side out and still it slipped.
Used a cheater pipe to try to tighten the vice and that is when I broke it.

Saturday night I called a friend and he said bring it over Sunday morning. Clamped it in his big heavy duty vice and put his 1/2 drive impace wrench on it and it still turned in te big vice.
He grabs a big pipe wrench and says to put it right next to the blade on that raised part and hold on. he hit it with the impact again and there was a autable pop that raised part next to the blade fall in my hand. take the thing out of the vice and decided to heat it up but the blade fell down and you then could see the whole unit was a thru bolt with bushings on one side and the bolt head and washer on the other side.

Now to top it off I want to show pictures and seems I can not get them to up load on any of my photo storage sites and they will not load derict here either.

So the frustation continues.

Al

Ya because the shaft is the bolt. Couldn't see it till the bushing broke. I don't really under stand whey the bushing broke either instead of looseing up and slide enough to see it was not a bolt in the shaft.

Al

Back