Briggs cast iron "magna matic" ignition

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
I have an 8hp cast iron Briggs model 200400 at the storage barn on an air compressor. It can be a pain to start, gotta wrap the rope around the pulley each time I pull it over.
When I got it, I cleaned the carb and filed and set the points and got it running.
That worked about a 1/2 a mowing season, and I had to replace the points. Don't remember if I put a condenser on or not. Last time I tried to start it I could get a few pops out of each pull of the rope at best. I cleaned the points again, pulled the plug and set it on top of the engine, I get a pretty good spark, sometimes. It's definitely easier to pull over when it's 80 degrees out than 40 like it was when I last tried to start it.not being able to get much rpms out of it when I wrap the rope each time may be part of being so hard to start.
Is there any tricks for that ignition system to make it easier to start? There really isn't a place to mount a battery for the idea of putting a Kohler style battery ignition coil onto it.
It worked /started pretty good until the last time last season I wanted to use it and it wouldn't go.
I went out and messed with it last weekend a while, I brought 2 tractors home and put tubes in some dry rotted tires so hopefully I won't need that compressor as much.
I would like to take some of my parts that need paint out there to paint being in question middle of nowhere. But it needs to run when I need it to.

I have had good luck with the Atom Ignition Module. Simple quick install. Get the green one for a Briggs engine. No more point or condenser to worry about. NAPA usually has them but not always the green #205 unit. The #209, brown unit is for Briggs also but have never used one.

I must have got some old stock as I purchased two units from local NAPA about 4 years ago. Another brand of module that I have also but would have to check on the info on that one.

I have a 10 hp Brigg on a wood spliter that would eat the points. Figured out with the help of B&S it was the condenser causing the issue. Once I got the points set exactly right it will usually start first pull of the rope. Colder weather take the load off the engine so you can spin it over. Like put a tensioner on the pump drive belt. I take the belt off to the hydraulic pump on the wood spliter, start the engine and let it warm up some, restart the engine and tighten the belt. Evey one of those old girl have a different attitude. Good luck.

Anyone here have the part numbers handy for the points and condenser used with this ignition system???? Points are fairly new, but they came to me in a box of other miscellaneous parts and there was no condenser there. For all I know that may be the original condenser on this engine from '72.
Though I'm almost afraid to try a new one unless i can find an "old" new one.....

update... found some NOS Briggs points and condenser and a "Prime Line" coil. I re replaced the points and also the condenser this time//, didn't have my cordless impact with me to pull the starter cup so I could pull the shroud and access the coil. (funny, when I could use the air compressor to work on itself, I could have used some air for my regular impact, haha) wrapped the rope and gave it a whirl, and it started right up, didnt need the coil. but Im keepin it for future, dunno if Ill be able to find a coil for what is currently a 50 yo engine, when it does need one. Possibly next spring if I cant keep the varmints away from making their condo in this unit???? so far they havent touched this one yet. It pulls over much easier when it has a consistent spark too, I discovered..... Just gotta take a bowl gasket out there for the glass filter bowl next time I'm out there.....

Stuff a bunch of clothes dryer sheets, good ones not the $ store brand, and the mice will stay away for a couple months. I like to leave the hoods open, engines exposed as much as possible which I think help also. They don't like the "open air" condos near as much.

Back