Briggs model 8 questions?

Ky wil

Iv got a briggs model 8 off a bolens power hoe. It's in pretty rough shape it stuck pretty bad and will need an exhaust valve Just that I know of know. It may need a piston and I'm sure rings by the time i get it unstuck. My question is whether this thing is worth saving? The only piston iv found is on ebay and it close to 100 bucks and iv not found a valve. I'm just wondering if I'd have way more in it than I should. Or is there a better place to find parts than I know of? Thanks Wil

I'd start looking for another engine. At least a parts donor. You are going to need the earlier style 8. Is it straight or gear reduction?

I'll start by saying iv never overhauled a small engine before, but I have a few 4,6and 8 cylinder engines. I'm assuming that the same principles applie. What I found was the cylinder is pitted, and the crankshaft has pitting where the what I'd call the main bearings would be or bushings in this case. It also has ridges on the rod journal.
I have found oversized pistons so I could have the block bored. The nail in the coffen is the crank. Iv found a new rod but the only crank I can find is for a stright engine not a gear reduction like I need. So if I'm right on this looks like I'm in the market for a parts engine or a replacement.
I would like to hear opinions on this. I was wanting to restore this walker with the original engine or with the proper replacement. But I'm not against putting a cheap replacement on to use while I'm on the hunt for the right one.
Thanks Wil

How deep are the Pitts?
If you could find thicker rod bearings and have crank turned.
Maybe have it welded up and tuned down. I have seen epoxy used, but would really hesitate.

How deep are the Pitts?
If you could find thicker rod bearings and have crank turned.
Maybe have it welded up and tuned down. I have seen epoxy used, but would really hesitate.
Honesty, I'm tempted to re-ring it, buff up the crank and hone the cylinder and try it.
The ridges are just noticeable by the eye. The pits on the mains ain't terrible, I had a old john deere that ran a long time with pits in the crank and a chip out of one piston.
It's built like a more modern 3hp briggs. No rod bearing but it dose have brass bushing for the main bearings. I'll get some pictures tomarow evening. Thanks Wil

I found a random thread on random forum that talks about using this to fix a cam shaft chip.
Also see where several RC guys have used this in their engine alterations. They claim it’s fuel/oil proof and harder than the grey epoxys

Devcon 31345 2 Ton Clear Epoxy
It’s more expensive, but Amazon has little 25ml tubes for about $7
One guy did warn about piece being 110% clean. 12 hour cure time.

I might know where there are some gear reduction 8s are. Wonder if the blocks changed when they changed the shroud style? They would be in the north central OH area. Shipping might kill it.

The main bearing area on that engine is massive in relation to the forces delivered to it. if the bushings can be have reasonable oil clearance after polishing the journals I would be happy with that. the rod journal is more critical but dosn't look as bad. would give it a light polish and use plastigauge to check it out. Also a mike to make sure it is round. If I found nothing to loose or out of round I would use the crank. The cylinder/piston/rings will take a lot of inspection and consideration to sort out beginning with a quick hone of the cylinder to clean it up for measurement. Don

I might know where there are some gear reduction 8s are. Wonder if the blocks changed when they changed the shroud style? They would be in the north central OH area. Shipping might kill it.

I would be interested in checking on one maybe. Like you said shipping may be killer, but worth checking on.

The main bearing area on that engine is massive in relation to the forces delivered to it. if the bushings can be have reasonable oil clearance after polishing the journals I would be happy with that. the rod journal is more critical but dosn't look as bad. would give it a light polish and use plastigauge to check it out. Also a mike to make sure it is round. If I found nothing to loose or out of round I would use the crank. The cylinder/piston/rings will take a lot of inspection and consideration to sort out beginning with a quick hone of the cylinder to clean it up for measurement. Don
That was kinda what I though about the crank. The mains seam to check round. The rod is about 2 thousands out of round. I will definitely need rings there stuck in the piston and I'm sure will break getting them out. The cylinder will have to clean on to see how bad it actually is, so that yet to be seen. Thanks for the input the advice it much appreciated. You to Dougt!
Thanks Wil

Like you said shipping may be killer, but worth checking on.
If both parties have a Greyhound close, they used to allow shipping in the luggage area if they weren’t full. (And when was the last time you saw a full bus in the winter that wasn’t on its way to Fla or Ariz}

It tried to do a quote based on random cities in your home states. Couldn’t do it, because I’m using an Apple product. Really Greyhound. That’s the best foot forward?
(I sent them an email regarding website functionality)
Anyways, their site suggests Firefox or IE for best results.
Home

Last edited:
Back