Bringing a Husqvarna YT1542 back to life

MNGB

Tractorologist
I'm working on bringing a 2003 Husqvarna YTH 1542 that my brother gave me back to life, it has sat out in the weeds for 7 years before I hauled it home I checked to see if the engine was free and it was/is. This thing look sad badly faded mose growing on the seat one front wheel missing both rears flat one is poiped of the bead other front tire flat, I could not get the rear tire that was off the bead to seat and the other was losing air after a few days so I went to the Polan parts tractor got all the wheels of it put the rear ones on the front were worn out but I have a nice pair of front tires on some MTD rims so changed them yesterday so the Husky was sitting om all 4's have the engine running good on a temp tank so I got all the old gas out od the tank (was only about a pt) flushed it and connected the gas hose put a gallon or so of gas in the tank cranked the engine engaged the hydro and gave it a try and it drives went forward and back but gas was leaking discoved the gas hose was bad so this morning I removed the seat and fenders and got the gas tank out cleaned it good and started installing new fuel hose. Its coming along will need to rewire it as that is really messed up

Sounds like your stayin' busy cranking out the projects. Hope your taking some before and after photo's.

Sounds like your stayin' busy cranking out the projects. Hope your taking some before and after photo's.
Hi cjet, yes I'm trying to stay busy but seems like every year older I get it takes less and less to keep me busy, didn't really get any before pictures as the original thought was to get the engine running and remove it for a spare but I just kept dinging with it so now its going to be a runner again, so I took some pics as it sits now, the original wire harness was butchered so I installed a used one from a Polan but its giving me fits it will start but as soon as I releas the brake/clutch it stops and the same when I pull the PTO on there is only 2 wires I could have turned around so I'll check that tomorrow or it could be that the relay isn't working will try replacing it with a different also

HPIM0990.JPGHPIM0991.JPGHPIM0992.JPGHPIM0993.JPGHPIM0994.JPG

Hi cjet, yes I'm trying to stay busy but seems like every year older I get it takes less and less to keep me busy, didn't really get any before pictures as the original thought was to get the engine running and remove it for a spare but I just kept dinging with it so now its going to be a runner again, so I took some pics as it sits now, the original wire harness was butchered so I installed a used one from a Polan but its giving me fits it will start but as soon as I releas the brake/clutch it stops and the same when I pull the PTO on there is only 2 wires I could have turned around so I'll check that tomorrow or it could be that the relay isn't working will try replacing it with a different also

I have that same problem with picking up a parts machine and then fixing up the parts machine. I'm sure you'll get the running issues figured out.

Well I thought and thought about the problem studied the wire diagram and this morning tried a couple of things first I started the engine then disconnected the connector for the magneto charging system etc let the clutch out it kept running next tried the PTO same thing so I figured it has to be the relay, so removed it and installed the one from the old harness that was removed fired it up and let the clutch out it kept running same with the PTO so that was the problem, this harness I installed was in good condition except for the PTO lead the ground wire was broke and of course it broke at the connector so I cut the one from the bad harness and spliced it in and its a go now, for now I'm smiling

Last edited:
I better follow along on your posts here too GB, since I just aquired 3 Lt's that all need help. You will have some good tips of things to look for I'm sure! Goal is to get one running well and safely so my wife can use it.! All I know right now is that the engines are free.

DAC

I better follow along on your posts here too GB, since I just aquired 3 Lt's that all need help. You will have some good tips of things to look for I'm sure! Goal is to get one running well and safely so my wife can use it.! All I know right now is that the engines are free.

DAC
Post as much info about each one as you can. I may be able to help with some info.

Didn't do anything with the husky this morning had to go to Fargo for a VA hearing test, but this afternoon got to work on it learned that a battery is required to drive them even though they have a magneto, the safety relay has to have battery power to keep it in the run mode when the clutch is released, got the seat pan on installed and the seat got the wire harness secured cleaned up and painted the battery shelf installed an old battery and started it and went for a test drive went to the hydro test area first (its some steep hills / banks in an old holding pond) it worked good held back going down and went right up with out slowing engine ran good so it got brave and went to the far end on my property and got back to the shop. Got back in where it was warm and worked on the seat it was slide way forward and the wing bolt securing it was rusted the plastic wings broke off and even with a visegrips it would not break free so I used the smoke wrench on it got it glowing red and it came lose and didn't set the seat on fire it was a good day
HPIM0995.JPGHPIM0996.JPGHPIM0997.JPG

Last edited:
Well its about done for now, put the hood on connected the wiring gave them a try and they work, removed the lens and cleaned the area it had a lot of dirt inside the lens area got it cleaned up and they are brighter so that's good, in the spring I'll get the deck ready for mowing get a new battery installed, so monday it will go around to the back storage area.

HPIM0998.JPGHPIM0999.JPGHPIM1000.JPGHPIM1001.JPG

Looks like it's going to serve you well, GB! You really got with it and made that tractor useable fast! Do you have a cutting deck or anything for it?

DAC

Great fun doin somethin like that. You should take a little rubbing compound to the paint to brighten it up. Just for fun, hehe.

What is the next project Gary.

Noel

Looks like it's going to serve you well, GB! You really got with it and made that tractor useable fast! Do you have a cutting deck or anything for it?

DAC
Yes I have a deck but won't mess with it until spring it needs blades some cleaning up and a new belt if I run into any thing else I have another parts deck

So now I have 3 Husqvarna YTH 1542 machines, all have Kawasaki V tiwn 15 hp engines all are hydro's with 42" decks, in the winter ones is fitted with a 40" Agri-fab dual stage blower and it works good have about 510 hrs on that one, the one I just got back up and going has 330 and the 3rd machine has 285 hrs I've had really good luck with these machine they mow good handle nice and are fairly easy to work on., was going to post pictures of the three really had to look and this is the best I can do guess next spring I'll have to line up the husky's and take some pictures, the 1st pic is the weed tractor 2nd is the one I mow my yard with and use with the snowblower 3rd on I use around the shop trimming and mowing in the hard to get to areaa
HPIM0999.JPG100_0443.JPGHPIM0578.JPG

Looks like a real useful herd of tractors, GB! Pretty cool bumper jack invention there too!

DAC

Back