Brinley Cultivator Mods

chieffan

Tractorologist
Was using the shovels off a David Bradly cultivator but could not get them close enough to get all the weeds. Got these 7 - 9" shovels, new old stock cast in Canada. Put them on in place of the DB ones. Had to widen the frame out to get the shovels spread out but hard to get it set to where it covers the whole width with shovel overlap, and not to much overlap. Anyway this is what I ended up with. Will give it a try in the morning. Had the tractor up on 2" blocks and got the shovels level behind it so should work OK.

20230621_110557.jpg 20230621_110500_HDR.jpg 20230621_110535.jpg20230621_110517_HDR.jpg

S-U-P-E-R

Mine is very much like yours. My intention is to have a flatter V formation, yet not totally horizontal either. My machine is a full Cat-1. I know the Brinly-Hardy has to be mod'ed somewhat. I hope it's more bolt on parts to do the mod. This way, it can be converted back to what we both started out with. :)

Another thought I had, with the rippers all removed, it's still in a V formation, one can bridge across to the back of the V a disc gang to make into a small harrow of sorts.

Another option, this device can easily be made into a row hiller. There are so many options with this tool.

Do ou have other mods with the tool. I would love to hear them. :cool:

Looks good Roger. You had mentioned about shovels before I think, you had said I should try them on mine. Yours look like they would cut the weeds hood.
I never did anything with the shovels on my cultivator yet.

Noel

These were a poor cast iron shovel. Probably a copy of some good ones that did't turn out the best. Probably why the price was right for them also. I have a set of points that are on another Brinly, plus several shanks from a DB unit.. That unit is in a flower patch for yard art. Have the back section of a tandem Brinly disc also. Sold it with an older Bolens G12 a few years ago. I need to do a lot more grinding on the shovels to get the blunt edge down to a cutting edge and it would work better I am sure. Tried using my 9" grinder but I cannot handle that heavy thing any more but it sure will grind metal.

If your not familiar with shovels they need to over lap some, like 3" don't hurt, or the weeds will slip between the outside end of the shovel. I need to change the hook up of the cultivator to the tractor so it can't swing side to side, which allows it slide past some weeds on the outside end. Would solve a lot of issues if I had got into the garden with it 3-4 weeks ago before the weeds got so big. Wider shovels helps a lot also. Mine are 9" and wish I couold have got 10 or 12 but only found them in singles or a pair. $$$$ too.

Would only need one - right in the middle. The wider they are the harder they are to get to run half way flat without adjustable shank angles.

None of the F&H stores around here carry them any more. Thought they would with the field conditioners that are used. always loose a couple a season seems like. Imp dealer probably have them but again, the price.

Back