Bump a Lump and what is that noise!!

CRF6179

Goofologist
I bought a Speedex 1641 some time back. I have named it Bump a Lump.
While working on it I managed to bump my head several times, on the exhaust, the floor board, the pedal, you name it!
It has always been noisy, but I kept putting off working on it. I finally found time to mess with it. The first two noises were easy. I replaced two idler pulleys and it got a lot quieter.
There was a vibration that I was hearing, and while driving I leaned over to the left to listen closer to that side . I braced myself by putting a hand on the fender and the noise went away. I temporarily attached a clamp to where the fender and floorboard meet and the noise went away. That left a vibration somewhere in the front section. I tightened the engine tins, exhaust shield, and hood mounts but there is still a small vibration somewhere.
The transaxle would whine when in 3rd, or 4th gear at high rpm's. I drained the fluid which was thin, and looked like chocolate milk, and only had about half of the required 3 pints. After refilling with the proper amount of 90w, the whine was greatly reduced but still noticeable.
I am now going to go rub the side of my head some more! Rick

Attachments

• 20200831_155320.jpg
    20200831_155320.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200831_155326.jpg
    20200831_155326.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200831_155353.jpg
    20200831_155353.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200831_155407.jpg
    20200831_155407.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 18
Good looking tractor, is that a V twin B&S engine, don't know about them just arn't any around here in MN

Good looking tractor, is that a V twin B&S engine, don't know about them just arn't any around here in MN
Yes, its a 12.5 hp B&S V Twin. It would originally had a 16 hp twin. Some were also built with a Kohler.
There is a thread on this tractor on GT Talk were it was built up by GLGrumpy. He sold it to a guy about 30 miles south of me. It then got sold to guy about 4 blocks from me. After about a year it became mine.
I like the B. & S. V-Twins. I have repowered two of my Wheel Horses with 16 & 18 hp units
Here are a couple pictures of it when GLGrumpy first got it.

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 7
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thanks for the story CRF, always interesting at least to me yea I know GL likes the Speedex tractors and I to like the B&S V twin engines I repowered one of my Sears Suburbans with a 16 hp Vanguard removed an Onan that I really disliked. Do you have a deck or other attachments?

Thanks for the story CRF, always interesting at least to me yea I know GL likes the Speedex tractors and I to like the B&S V twin engines I repowered one of my Sears Suburbans with a 16 hp Vanguard removed an Onan that I really disliked. Do you have a deck or other attachments?
Just the tractor. I may configure something so I can plow with it.

Back