C160 and how good tractors end up parted.

Rustyoldjunk

Rustologist/Punishment Glutton
So many of the people coming into the vintage garden tractor hobby today have basically no mechanical knowledge and no real appreciation of vintage equipment.
Now I can understand a lack of mechanical abilities but you combine that lack with a lack of appreciation and a lot of good vintage pieces of equipment are getting gone for no good reason.
Once the original machines from other eras are gone they are gone so I like to see the ones that we can preserved as long as we can.
Case in point is this Wheel Horse C160 hydro / hydro lift tractor.
When I first heard about it and saw pictures it was still together but the rearend was said to be locked up/bad. The guy showing it to me was getting it to pull the engine for another tractor.
When he got the engine I hauled the rest home for parts. But one evening I decided to take a look at it.
I noticed that when I tried to roll it the belt release lever was jumping and clicking. So I pulled the belt cover. The belt release mechanism was binded up,along with the belt.
Now the tractor rolls fine,so I rolled it up to the shop and set a 5 hp engine on it.
I closed the tow valve and started the engine. The hydro and rearend are fine and the hydro lift is strong.
When I was first told about the tractor with the rear being locked I figured it was the semi common issue of the diff bolts backing out and binding.
I knew chances were the hydro was fine because Sunstrands are about indestructible.
The thing is I have seem these very simple fixes time and time again but so many in the hobby today that have low mechanically skills aren't taking the time to learn and gain knowledge. They simply junk and replace because its easier. Carbs (Chinese from ebay),engines ( Preditor),scrap good tractors. All the while instead of admitting they don't know how to repair or even check and diagnose problems they call the old junk instead.
As a disclaimer just because a person is new to the hobby or just learning mechanics is not a bad thing,in fact it's great! We want the hobby to grow and flourish. We want to preserve the era and history,the times that these machines are from,when times and people were different.
I would just like to see people take there time and learn to maintain,diagnose,repair and preserve these vintage machines.
Anyway,where did I set my coffee....and what did I do with that socket....

Attachments

• received_1842962295760041.jpeg
    received_1842962295760041.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 28
  • received_1842962259093378.jpeg
    received_1842962259093378.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20180712_205828.jpg
    20180712_205828.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180716_195701.jpg
    20180716_195701.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180716_193825.jpg
    20180716_193825.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 24
  • 20180717_201724.jpg
    20180717_201724.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20180717_201700.jpg
    20180717_201700.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20180717_201749.jpg
    20180717_201749.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 24
These old tractor are simple and easy to w I bought a case 155 off Ebay man spent money on Shop Manual , Parts Manual from Case Dealer. I found the wire going to the points was on wrong side of Coil. I bought Case 222 engine could not turn over with wrench. remover starter generator it was rusted solid in side. Engine turned over fine. I wrote article for Lawn & Garden tractor Magazine about my Case 220 Barn Find. I made a index of all the helpful hints from the shop from my old Lawn&Garden tractor magazines. If you don't get the magazine. Join today. www.lagmag.com
thanks brillion man.

Agree with you 1000% Rustyoldjunk
The sickening thing is seeing so many engines going to scrap because people just dont know or dont care to know how to fix a common issue , the predator "swaps" are out of control , that and the chinese carbs for $10

Its hard to predict the future but it seems like its just going to be a group of hard core collectors that are left to keep these original , so many of these machines are used and abused then tossed without a care in the world , they buy a nice complete machine chainsaw it up then get in over their head and scrap it.

Thats what kind of made me start restoring some of the Bolens I have , someone has to have nice originals around to showcase what these machines actually used to look and sound like .

Sadly I think the abusing is going to get worse once the new lawn mowers start coming out with the efi fuel injected machines , only a trained technician is going to be able to work on them so I see even more people coming to this hobby down the road which is a good thing and bad thing at the same time

I know exactly what you mean. I took a Bolens in on trade that had a Greyhound (HF) engine put in. Started and ran good, blade, deck and thrower. I traded it back out for a Cub and some cash. PO had moved the start feature and throttle to the dash control but left the rest on the Greyhound. Simple on you understood it. I wrote the instructions down exactly how to start it and turn it off. showed him when I drove it off the trailer. 2days later he told me he scrapped the whole thing as him & his "go to tractor guy" could not get it started. DUH !!!! Wish I had never heard of him as he lied through his teeth about the cub I got too.

That C-160 is a fine machine....with a 16 HP Kohler! It looks kind of funny with the 5 HP engine!

I recently picked up a Wheel Horse 518 H because the lady said it wouldn't start/run/move.
Well, if a hydro won't start, there is no way it runs, or will move (easily). 4 flat tires and looking neglected.
I got it home checked out a couple things and tried to start it....Long story short...added a little oil (so the low oil shut off does work!) and started it up and mowed the lawn!
Another tractor friend saw my 518 and wanted to do a straight up trade and now I have a WH 551! I went backwards about 27 years but both parties were happy with the deal!

Back