Cab Lift for Mack trucks

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
I picked this up at a show for less than $20. Been fooling with it some but it's not working real good. I finally found a manual for it and I think it has the wrong fluid in it. Should be MIL-H-5606 or equivalent (red color). Has a clear fluid. I have found that Areoshell Fluid 41 is a good replacement fluid, but it's nearly $8 a quart. Guess I'll have to get a couple quarts so I can flush it out and see what happens. Not sure what to do with it as yet. Can't use the cylinder on a tractor due to how it's made.
DSCN2845.JPG DSCN2846.JPG DSCN2847.JPG

Bet I'll figure out something though.

The pump is air operated I thought. Nice find, would be handy in shop.
I had one fail years ago on a K100 COE in North Bay, that’s how/where I met my wife.

The pump is air operated I thought. Nice find, would be handy in shop.
I had one fail years ago on a K100 COE in North Bay, that’s how/where I met my wife.
Mine is manual, like a hydraulic jack.

They are hydraulic. Can't say I've ever seen any pumps on COE that were air..

It's a 1" rod I believe, been a while since I messed with it. 12" stroke.
They were long enough to allow the cab on a F model Mack to tilt a full 90 degrees. Had to be on your toes when it over center and started on it's way down flat... :eek:

Seen a guy let one down to fast and little out of control , hitting some tool boxes in front of truck and busting the windshields. Granted it was to close to the boxes to start with.. Wakes people up...!

thinking a little further I don't believe they're the cylinders that came with that pump as the ones that were on cabs had to be longer...

Mine is manual, like a hydraulic jack.
Only manual cab lift I had was on a '86 IHC COE. On this Freightliner it was electric or air to operate lift. I appreciated only having to push a button to lift cab.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_18d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_18d.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I was told this was from a Mac but that may not be. Also, they may have taken one cylinder out, thus the clear fluid in it. Here's the manual I found for it.

Attachments

• Installation-and-Service-Manual-Hydraulic-Cab-Tilt-3010003741-rev-0B.pdf
    694.6 KB · Views: 1
Here's what I found for the pump and cylinder. It's a 10.5" stroke!
ScreenShot126.jpg ScreenShot127.jpg

I see from the specs some are air assist. Ya, painfully slow operating when stinking cold. I'm sure you find some handy use. No doubt better quality than the off shore cylinder on my engine lift. Its leaked since day one.

I ordered a rebuild kit for this BlackHawk S14 floor jack today. 6000lb capacity. Hopefully not rocket science to install
Wife asked critical question,, “how high will it lift”. I don’t have a clue:rolleyes:
8273F2A1-619F-41FD-88E9-97E2E30CA8E0.jpeg

I ordered a rebuild kit for this BlackHawk S14 floor jack today. 6000lb capacity. Hopefully not rocket science to install
Wife asked critical question,, “how high will it lift”. I don’t have a clue:rolleyes:
View attachment 21130
Very nice old jack. They seem to have a following too. The little I did see about them I seen on "The Garage Journal" forum. Couldn't read much as I think you have join to see more.. Possibly 3 ton with a 24" lift. ...?

Very nice old jack. They seem to have a following too. The little I did see about them I seen on "The Garage Journal" forum. Couldn't read much as I think you have join to see more.. Possibly 3 ton with a 24" lift. ...?

I got the seal kit but we could not get the pump apart. Once piece we could not remove and my millwright friend had the cylinder anchored in his lathe trying to remove the piece...he suggested pump make a good boat anchor. Repower with a air cylinder is on my bucket list.

Back