Cable chains anyone used them?

MNGB

Tractorologist
I want a set of chains for the Country Squire it has 16" rear wheels and I don't have an extra set of regular chains, and my brother had a set of cable chains they are for either 20 or 22" tires so I cut about 30" out and spliced them back together and installed them to see how they looked and the fit is good.
Has anyone used these if so whats your experience? I think they good be good on asphalt and concrete driveways if scaring and tearing it up is a concern

HPIM1593.JPGHPIM1594.JPGHPIM1595.JPGHPIM1596.JPGHPIM1597.JPG

That will work great. When I started into lawn tractors, then garden tractors , I experimented with a lot of different types of chains, so to speak, plastic rope, worked good, clothes line, worked better, chain link fence, worked ok, rubber mats that they use in kitchens for the cooks to stand on in front of the stoves, worked great. I tryed a lot of things.
They’ll work great Gary. But they wear out soon.
Hopefully you get a bunch of snow so you can tell us how the worked.
Hehe. Ya, sorry. You don’t want that.

Noel

Hi Noel I'll keep you and the group informed as to how they work, but I'm hoping it won't be until Mar 22:thumbs: I don't think these will wear out the rollers on the cross bars are extremely hard and the actual cross bars are not cable but some other material will look at them closer next week. But right now I'm busy getting the tractors and decks cleaned up and serviced for next year

Bet they will ride a lot better than chains..though it looks like they could use another cross cable between each one..?
I 'm thinking the same and have taken one off the piece I cut out, man is that a job used my Oxy torch heated it cherry red and a large nippers to grip it, have a half dozen so will work on getting more but right now got to get things ready for fall . winter

Never seen cables used on tractor,,,keep us posted. If you get lots of seat time I’m sure you would appreciate the ride.
I have a set for auto.15" wheel that I've had for 20+ year and have never tried them, my brother got these from his son who bid on a lot of misc the county was selling he used a set to make a conveyor for moving wood to his splitter

I have a set for auto.15" wheel that I've had for 20+ year and have never tried them, my brother got these from his son who bid on a lot of misc the county was selling he used a set to make a conveyor for moving wood to his splitter
What's wrapped around the cables ???

Screenshot_20211016-124828.png

Best close up shot I could get.
Or what does the cable go thru as it goes over the tire.? Looks like little pieces of something ?

After picking the pumpkins mowing off the rest of the garden in hopes it will dry some I can plow tomorrow or Tuesday, then mowed the area behind the house and around the garden for the last time this year, I went in to the shop and checked on it and remembered to take some pictures of the cross bar link of the cable chains. I can't really determine what the center is it doesn't look to be cable the rollers can be seen just simple hard steel rollers.

Attachments

• HPIM1598.JPG
    HPIM1598.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 12
  • HPIM1599.JPG
    HPIM1599.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 12
  • HPIM1600.JPG
    HPIM1600.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 11
  • HPIM1601.JPG
    HPIM1601.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 11
This afternoon I was moving decks to the back storage area for winter and had to pull Husqvarna #3 around to the shop (the darn drive belt popped off) so got to work on that anyway I used the CS with the cable chains installed and was surprised at how noticeable they were on hard surfaces but didn't feel a thing on the ground, I'm thinking they will work good in the snow, I'm also hoping I can't confirm this until late Feb ;)

Back