Carb spacer.

Propane1

Tractorologist
On a kohler k321 14 hp. Do spacers between the carb and block do anything to help horse power, torque, gas savings or waste of time.
How thick would they be if any body has used them. If used, did any body put any kind of agitateor in them to help mix gas and air. Just wondering. Any thoughts ?

Noel

A spacer isn't going to have much effect. A really long one might marginally help horsepower at WOT, but could also decrease low end performance.

You don't want an agitator. The whole point is to get air/fuel into the engine and exhaust out as efficiently as possible. Any agitator will cause turbulence which will decrease the breathing efficiency. The whole point of porting and polishing the intake and exhaust is to reduce turbulence.

Anyone remember back when Warshawsky used to sell those Mini-Superchargers. They were basically a spacer with a propeller mounted inside, that went under the carb.

What about the tornado intake that put a propeller inside your intake tube?

We have an f150 with a 4.6 at work. Someone out a throttle body spacer on it. Darn thin whistles like it has a super charger.

On cars I have seen spacers made out of oak or some other hardwood, to prevent fuel percolating when hot.
Had that problem with Edelbrock and Carter afb type of carbs in the past.
I have some sort of plastic one (Bakelite? Phenolic? I know that this is what the plastic bowls that some carbs were made from) that I am gonna try if I can ever get around to the intake and carb swap on my Fury.

Wasn't the old trick to clip wooden clothes pins on fuel lines to help dissipate heat?

I remember when i was a kid dad had 1979 Pontiac sunbird. It would vapor lock constantly. He put a few clothes pins on the fuel line where it ran up the intake manifold.

Dad when I was young had a temper. He would get mad at objects and situations but never lost his temper with people. We were at the mall and thay car vapor locked in traffic (before the clothes pins) he was so mad he got out to open the hood and slammed the drivers door so hard the window shattered. Then he was even more angry.

Yeah, I also remember the cloth pins on fuel lines. Never quite understood it, wood doesn't dissipate heat well. I also remember seeing fiber glass or asbestos cloth used ( before asbestos became verboten) on fuel lines to shield them from local heat (being close to the engine), also to prevent vapor lock. This was mostly on agriculture of industrial uses.
Sheenist

The wood may act as an insulator more than a heat sink. Cover enough area with clothes lines and insulated the fuel line. Dad had 4 or 5 on his in a row.

Back