carrot seed and TP

ol' stonebreaker

Tractorologist
A while back I spent time gluing carrot seed to toilet paper with a water flour paste. I dried them well and folded them up and stored in a coffee can to stay in the fridge. Today was time to plant them so I took some pics of the process. First I used a 1/4" sieve to screen out dirt to cover them with. Next I lay out the TP and you can barely see the seed encased in the paste and sprinkle a little dirt on it to hold it down. As I progressed I sprinkle dirt and spread a thin layer over it about 1/4" deep. I have planted 576 seeds in a 4' square area. I hope this works out well and I no longer have to thin carrot seedlings.
Mike

Attachments

• 001 (Small).JPG
    001 (Small).JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 002 (Small).JPG
    002 (Small).JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 003 (Small).JPG
    003 (Small).JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Neat idea. I love this kind of experiment. Spring really isn't even here yet and now I'm looking forward to fall to find out how they turn out. Yesterday I finally got my garden cultivated, and it froze again last night...... it'll be a while before I get most of my stuff planted, :confused:

We've been getting cool weather and some rain since I planted the carrot, beet and sugar snap pea seeds. I hope the seed doesn't rot.
Mike

edit: just saw one beet plant coming up so that gives me hope.
And some peas are showing.

Last edited:
I tried it out today. Used a flour and water as a glue. Last evening I ridged up a raised bed for it. It will be interesting to see how it does. I would like to try it with red beets also.

Shorty, I'll let you know when I see carrots coming up and you do the same, please. I laid all the TP out seed side up, in hindsight maybe I should have alternated them. I'm keeping the dirt damp so the roots have a better chance of getting thru the TP.
Mike

None of my carrots came up. From what I read later it was too hot and dry. I should have covered them to hold moisture until they sprouted.

576 seeds down the tube. What a bummer. To tell the truth I planted ours the old fashioned way and the germination rate was pretty poor. No problem thinning these. Same way with the beets. Now the Brussel sprouts did much better and everything else looks great.

Back