Carter/Kohler #30 Carb repair

MNGB

Tractorologist
The carb that was on the K321 I just go going had a leak, gas ran out about as fast as it was coming in. so I dissembled it put the carb body float and float bowel in the ultrasonic cleaner. Cleaned the idle and main jets with 3M Scotch-bright pad and poked a welder cleaning tip cleaner thru the main jet holes, then I fished the float bowl out of ultrasonic cleaner and used the scotch pad on it and soon discovered the gas leak problem there was a corrosion hole about 3/16" in the bottom next to retaining bolt hole. Went to the parts room and got the part carb it had a good bowl so that problem is taken care of, next got the float out and looked it over and discovered it was crumpled up top and bottom but it still floated but took the float from the parts carb. Got the carb body out of the cleaner washed it good in some naphtha blew it out good with air and used my new set of carb cleaning brushes run them thru every hole and orifice I could found the brushes to be a little delicate but they did work. I had a carb kit that consits of a needle a seat a square ring gasket and the baffle. if the seat look good I don't mess with tiring to remove it but this on was not looking real good so thought I'd install a new one on, then I discovered I didn't have a thin walled 3/8" deep socket and didn't have a cheap one to grind down so I got a couple of Q tips some mother metal polish and the cordless drill and polished up the seat it turned out good reassemble the connected to the gas hose on the engine test stand and turned on the gas valve no leaks the needle valve was holding so I used the air blow gun and blasted air thru the carb and atomized gas came out the engine side stop the air blast waited and no leaking so I'm calling it good.
The parts carb is getting to be less and less parts and more junk

Nice work using what you have, Gary! I like you were able to polish up the seat! Unfortunately, my K321 had no carb on it at all when I got it! Had to order one of those Chinese knock offs, but it seems to work well.

DAC
Hi Doug most of the China aftermarket carbs are good I've installed about 15 on them on Kohlers with great success the one for B&S have had less success but then again B&S has so many different confounded many models and they try to cover to many models with one carb

Back