Case 644/646?

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
who knows what about tehse tractors? can someone enlighten me? Parts availability, Case specific ( AKA tough to find) parts that are known to go bad, those sort of things? Wide base or narrow base Kohler?

Member dropped82 is my go-to guy for Case Hy-Drive tractors. Might shoot him a PM. I just know I love the big-wheel look and serious torque from the hydraulic drive motor.

There is a site specitic to them casecoltingersoll.
No parts that you can’t get.
They were made until recently right here in Portland Maine.
Most expensive thing is the drive motor/pump.
They were serious work machines.
And so, may just be all around worn out!

Thinking of buying one?

Joe

The 600 series machines are dedicated loader machines. They were built pretty stout. You could use a 3 point onthe back if you remove the weight box. Also, they could accept all the same attachments, minus front mount blade and blower, that the 200/400 series could accept. 644 is Kohler powered with a K321. 646 is Onan powered with an Onan CCK. I've heard the swash plates on the drive system usually wear on high use machines. That is specific to the 600 series tractors and Case/Ingerosoll. There is still full parts support for them. Company was recently for sale but I think still producing parts. I could be wrong. Regardless, there's a ton of new parts still to be had.

I've got a 648. 18hp Onan with a Davis D-100 backhoe. Pretty powerful machine. My biggest complaint is that they are super uncomfortable to operate. Not enough leg room and even though they appear to be a "step through" design, the space between the seat and the dash is not near enough.

The 644 and 646 do not have power steering. The 648 comes standard with power steering. They are powered by a fixed displacement hydraulic pump producing around 9 gpm. No belts or driveshaft. They are nearly impossible to break due to the relief valve settings on the hydraulic valve. They are very capable little loaders and with the recommended counterweight of around 800 lbs. they have been known to lift 1000 lbs. the main high wear item on these tractors is the shuttle shift linkage. As previously stated, the lbh models had a Davis D100 backhoe. (Case owned Davis at the time of production). These are not toys. The digging depth is around 7-1/2’ - 8’. These are well built industrial quality machines.

Back