Changing the Husqvarna over from winter use to summer

MNGB

Tractorologist
Well got the Husqvarana into the shop removed all the winter gear blower cab chains draw bar wt yesterday this morning got deck installed that went good started the engine engaged the deck had a horrible noise and vibration after a few seconds it cleared up but I knew what the problem was bad spindle bearing, drove it around some turned odd the PTO and viberating as the blades coasted down, no greasing these spindle and last fall it was running good and when I power washed the deck and checked it over no indications of a bad bearing anyway ordered 6 mew bearings, the bearings are cheap it cost more in shipping than 2 bearings so I upped it to 6, they should be here later this week

Are they a sealed bearing? On Sealed bearings that are hard to get at I will use a syringe filled with grease and slip it under the seal to add some more grease before installing. I don't flood them but from what I've seen replacing many bearings in electric motors (Baldor was the worst) a lot of bearings are sold short on grease. Cheap bearings seemed to be the worst by far. Return business I guess.

Are they a sealed bearing? On Sealed bearings that are hard to get at I will use a syringe filled with grease and slip it under the seal to add some more grease before installing. I don't flood them but from what I've seen replacing many bearings in electric motors (Baldor was the worst) a lot of bearings are sold short on grease. Cheap bearings seemed to be the worst by far. Return business I guess.
Yea they are sealed actually they standup very well this is a 2005 tractor & deck and its the first bearing to go 573 hrs on the tractor but some is blowing snow so I'm not complaining to much

The deck was pretty cold I power wash ing the fall when done mowing remove the deck wash it remove the blades sharpen & balance them check the deck over and put in storage for winter
I know you said they're sealed bearings but you still have a grease fitting to add grease ?
Reason I ask that is my Woods (Grasshopper) zero turn has sealed bearings in all 3 mower spindles plus grease zerks. They tell you grease them every so many hours. These are 25 years old and 1100+ hours and only replaced one in that time. So grease must be getting in them somehow....and the one I did replace was a little noisy, not bad so to speak.

I know you said they're sealed bearings but you still have a grease fitting to add grease ?
Reason I ask that is my Woods (Grasshopper) zero turn has sealed bearings in all 3 mower spindles plus grease zerks. They tell you grease them every so many hours. These are 25 years old and 1100+ hours and only replaced one in that time. So grease must be getting in them somehow....and the one I did replace was a little noisy, not bad so to speak.
Yea the Case and some Simplicity decks are that way but not these AYP spindles

Last edited:
I’m never satisfied with installing sealed bearings until I add a little of my own. I have a needle with an angled cut point on it that fits into a grease gun. I use one of the little mini grease guns to do this rather than using the big gun.

Some people say it's a good idea to remove the inside seal on the bearing so grease can get to the inside of the bearing. The problem is it can take years for the inside of the spindle bore to fill with enough grease to reach the top bearing. So I leave the seals on and fill the bearing with grease and then forget the zirk. This doesn't work on a new mower though. There doesn't seem to be a totally correct way to do it. :(

Some people say it's a good idea to remove the inside seal on the bearing so grease can get to the inside of the bearing. The problem is it can take years for the inside of the spindle bore to fill with enough grease to reach the top bearing. So I leave the seals on and fill the bearing with grease and then forget the zirk. This doesn't work on a new mower though. There doesn't seem to be a totally correct way to do it. :(
I did that when I rebuilt the MF610 deck on the MF12G. They were not greaseable spindles. I read a thread at GTT as I had a couple of bearing failures with the stock setup. The originals had a 1/2" wide roller bearing and a seal on the bottom and a sealed bearing on the top. That thread at GTT had part numbers for 1" wide rollers. There's plenty of space on the shaft and in the housing for them. I drilled zirks and vents opposite. Then the sealed bearing the inner seal came out, packed it like an automotive wheel bearing, filled the spindle housing with grease and assembled them. I will grease them every 10 hours roughly, don't have an hour meter, making sure clean grease comes out the vent. I couldn't buy vents for some reason, so I knocked the ball and spring out of a regular zirk and have caps on them.

DAC

I've been just replacing the bearings on my old mower. It pretty much eats spindle bearings. Hopefully my new mower should be able to go longer on bearings? I do mow over small sticks, and sometimes hit rocks, never big ones. I assume anything that imparts a shock to the blade /spindle does not help bearing longevity.

I newer bothered to grease aftermarket spindles that had zerks. Never tried greasing new bearings...... I will keep that in mind as a possible thing to do.

I'll say one thing, whoever designed this spell check on this site deserves a Noble peace prize..........

Back