Changing the Ignition Module on a PK 1620

MNGB

Tractorologist
I really like my 89 1620 PK its a nice tractor with 3 pt power steering and Hydro powered with a Kohler M20 20 hp twin, a couple of days ago it started running rough no power at first a was suspect of the carb but then tried removing one of the spark plug leads while it was running it just about stopped put it back on went to the other side made little or no difference when I pulled the plug wire got the inline spark tester and checked R side had intermittent weak spark so got it in the shop and started trying to get to the ignition module its impossible with the engine in place so I pulled the engine out to remove the flywheel cooling tin to get at the module, what a dirty mess ordered a new ignition module and washed down the engine its much better and the module is ordered as I said I like the tractor but working on it is a PITA.

HPIM0842.JPGHPIM0843.JPGHPIM0844.JPGHPIM0845.JPG

Same sort of issue with the solenoid on my Roper 20T No easy way to get to it if it sticks or goes bad. I re-located it to the fire wall. Nice PK, can the module be moved to a more access friendly area?

Same sort of issue with the solenoid on my Roper 20T No easy way to get to it if it sticks or goes bad. I re-located it to the fire wall. Nice PK, can the module be moved to a more access friendly area?
Hi larrybl, no its an electronic magneto has to be near the flywheel magnets, it was a good opportunity to clean the cylinder cooling fins they really needed it just waiting now for a new module to get here

A friend dropped off his older Cub Cadet tractor with same engine. It too has a bad coil. I dread getting into it. Gotta give it a good pressure washing first, as with most things people want me to repair, they arrive extremely filthy.

Well the ignition modules arrived today yes I have 2, I searched e bay and found one for sale that was in the US didn't want to wait for the slow boat fron China thought I did a good job part was in New Jersey seller feedback was good he had sold a few of them so I clicked the buy it now I'm happy to have that done, e mails come in and my better half says what did you buy from China "What?" looked sure enough seller out of China and the delivery date was 6/27/20 Crap I want this tractor going as I mow with it so I get on Amazon really checked this time found a seller that had sold a number of these had good reviews and said it would be shipped and I'd get it 6/17/20 ok ordered it and it did get here today but the China seller also got in gear and his got here today also but about hrs after the Amazon one so the first one is installed on the engine checked for spark before closing things up has great spark so tomorrow I'll work on installing the engine back on the tractor

Got the driveshaft back in place this morning could not get it by myself had to have my friend come over and help finally got the splines lined up and it slide in place engine mount bolts installed and the DS clamp bolts torqued so this afternoon its to connect the throttle and choke cables the gas hose, install the spark plugs and the seat - fender pan so I know its in neutral and give it a try .Got the engine reinstalled and the tractor reassembled cranked the engine and it started up and runs great took it out and drove it around and its running better then ever, I think the coil has been intermittent for some time just had not completely failed but not putting out 100% anyway tomorrow just have a few things to connect light the head lights rear work light and then install the mower deck

Last edited:
Have put a couple of hours on the 1620 since replacing the ignition module, boy it starts right up and runs better than it had for some time, the old module was failing for some time but not completely so as to stop the engine until just a couple of weeks ago, I knew there was sometime not right but had it in my mind that it was the carb but it wasn't

Back